Warren Ralph kicked 7 goals as Carlton defeated Footscray by 79 points at Waverley Park.

Round 21, 1986

Venue: Waverley Park
Date: Saturday August 23, 1986 Result: Win by 79 points
Umpires: J.Russo & R.Castle Crowd: 28,697 Receipts: $99,609
Goalkickers: W.Ralph 7, W.Blackwell 4, B.Evans 3, S.Kernahan 2, P.Meldrum 2, W.McKenzie 2, W.Johnston 1, C.Bradley 1, W.Harmes 1.
Best: W.Harmes, P.Meldrum, D.Rhys-Jones, W.Blackwell, B.Evans, W.Ralph.
Reports: P.Foster (Foots) kicking S.Kernahan in the third quarter Injuries: Nil

Game Review

There were highlights galore for Carlton fans in this game, when the third-placed Blues met Footscray (fifth) in the Match of the Day at Waverley Park. In with a chance of snatching second ladder position from Sydney if we could beat the Bulldogs, our impetus was boosted in the days leading up to the game with the news that three of our most popular players in Wayne Johnston (150 games), Des English (100 games) and Fraser Murphy (50 games) were all due to reach career milestones against the Dogs. That was all but forgotten on selection night however, when a rash of injuries forced the match committee to make wholesale changes to the team. Out went Justin Madden, Jim Buckley, Ken Hunter, Tom Alvin and Shane Robertson; and in came Murphy, Warren Ralph, Mick Kennedy, Peter Rohde and Warren McKenzie. With those changes, the scales of probability swung heavily in favour of Footscray.
But as soon as the ball was bounced on that cool August Saturday afternoon, the Blueboys showed they had come out to play. Carlton’s fleet of midfield runners in Wayne Harmes, Paul Meldrum, Bernie Evans and Wayne Blackwell provided a constant supply of the ball to recalled full-forward Ralph, who capitalised on his opportunities to kick five first-half goals, and finished the match with seven. The Blues rattled on six goals in the first quarter, seven in the second, and another seven in the third to lead by a whopping 90 points at three-quarter time, before coasting in the last to end up winners by 79 points. It was an impressive, confidence-boosting victory for Carlton, but ultimately nothing changed, and we went into the 1986 final series still in third place.
This game was also significant for an incident in the second quarter when Footscray coach Mick Malthouse – angry and frustrated at his team’s inability to cope with a slick Carlton combination – decided to make a statement. He dragged the reigning Brownlow Medallist Brad Hardie off the ground, and Hardie reacted with equal anger. After ripping off his guernsey, he brandished it above his head in the direction of the Footscray coaches box - a gesture of defiance that ended his season - and his brief, meteoric career at the Western Oval.


B: 32 David Glascott 11 Bruce Doull 27 Des English
HB: 37 Wayne Harmes 35 Peter Dean 2 Peter Motley
C: 41 Peter Rohde 43 Mick Kennedy 26 David Rhys-Jones
HF: 7 Wayne Johnston (acting capt.) 4 Stephen Kernahan 23 Paul Meldrum
F: 1 Stephen Silvagni 22 Warren Ralph 21 Craig Bradley
Ruck: 20 Rhett Baynes 8 Wayne Blackwell 15 Bernie Evans
Interchange: 45 Warren McKenzie 30 Fraser Murphy
Emgs: 19 Rohan Burke 38 Shane Robertson 5 Ken Sheldon
Coach: Robert Walls


150 games: Wayne Johnston
100 games: Des English
50 games: Fraser Murphy
Last game: Rhett Baynes

Round 20 | Round 22
Contributors to this page: Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , molsey , WillowBlue , BlueWorld , Andy , Jarusa and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 27 of June, 2013 21:55:30 AEST by Bombasheldon.

Online Users

117 online users