Carlton defeated Collingwood by 75 points at the MCG. For the second straight year the Blues smashed Collingwood in a final with Soapy kicking 11.

Preliminary Final, 1932

Venue: M.C.G.Date: Saturday September 24, 1932
Result: Win by 75 pointsUmpire: Crowd: 46,447
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 11, M.Crisp 4, J.Green 3, M.Johnson 2, K.Shea 2, R.Cooper 1.
Best: h.Vallence, C.Martyn, L.Oprey, M.Johnson, G.Mackie, R.Cooper, M.Crisp, K.Shea, H.Bullen.
Injuries: Jack Green (Cartiledge), J.Kelly (Knee), G.Mackie (Knee) & K.Shea (Heel).

Game Review

This game would be almost like a carbon copy of the 1931 Semi Final, Carlton would smash Collingwood and the great Harry 'Soapy' Vallence would again kick 11 goals in a final against the Pies in a wondrous annihilation of Collingwood's final's hopes. The Blues would again set new records:
  • kicking the highest score in a final;
  • were the first team to score 100 points or more in Preliminary Final;
  • set the highest score against the Pies;
  • record the highest score in any quarter in a final; and
  • Vallence's 11 goals in these two games are still unmatched at the MCG by any other Blue.

Soapy's output could have been even greater as he was also attributed 9 behinds and 3 out of bounds.

The game started out competitively, with Collingwood's Gordon Coventry playing well to kick 4 first quarter goals and establish a 6 point lead for the Pies. 'Soapy' Vallence then started to exert his influence on the game in the second quarter, kicking 5 goals and setting another up for Micky Crisp. In a high scoring and free flowing quarter, Collingwood also creasted many chances, but inaccurate kicking gave the Blues the half-time lead despite having more scoring shots.

Carlton annilated Collingwood in the third term, kicking 10 goals 7. Micky Crisp started the carnage when he kicked a goal from a tight angle. The Pies actually scored the next two goals to be still in the game, but Vallence kicked 3 goals in a row and Johnson added the next for Carlton. Collingwood replied with a solitary goal, but the Blues made the running for the rest of the term. Two goals to Green and solitary goals to Cooper, Shea and Crisp followed.

Carlton was unable to maintain the run in the last, kicking only 2 goals 6, but then damage was already done. The Blues ran out 75 point winners and set up a rematch with Richmond in the Grand Final.

"Soapy" Vallence took 17 marks. The Prelimary Final Football Record in 1965 reviewing this match said; One critic wrote of Vallence: "Seldom has a more brilliant display of high marking, clever anticipation and well-judged kicking has been seen in a final."

The Blues' 10.7 in the third term stood as a record for 14 years.


B: 18 Jack Young 21 Frank Gill (vc) 20 Charlie Street
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 2 Colin Martyn (c) 5 Leo Opray
HF: 8 Keith Shea 14 Jack Green 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 29 Horrie Bullen 22 Harry Vallence 19 Ron Cooper
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 15 Maurie Johnson 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 23 Jim Crowe
Coach: Dan Minogue



Images: Trove; Table Talk


Interesting Fact: This was the last of 201 games played by Carlton without playing in a Grand Final

Semi Final | Grand Final
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , molsey , PatsFitztrick , timmyd , WillowBlue , kkk , camelboy , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 18 of May, 2017 21:52:45 AEST by Jarusa.

Online Users

214 online users