Carlton lost to Richmond by 9 points at the MCG. Soapy Vallence kicked 5 as Carlton played in their first Grand Final since 1921.

Grand Final, 1932

Venue: M.C.G.Date: Saturday October 1, 1932
Result: Lose by 9 pointsUmpire: ScottCrowd: 69,724 Receipts: £3,633/4/8
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 5, K.Shea 2, A.Clarke 2, H.Bullen 2, M.Crisp 1.
Best: G.Mackie, C.Martyn, L.Oprey, E.Huxtable, M.Johnson, A.Egan, J.Crowe.
Reports: G.Mackie reported for striking P.Bentley. P.Bentley reported for striking G.MackieInjuries: A.Egan broken nose, in second quarter, continued playing.

Game Review

Carlton only made one change for the Grand Final, Jack Green was injured in the previous weeks Preliminary Final and couldn't play in the Grand Final. He was replaced in the side by Alf Egan. Richmond were missing Jack Dyer and entered the game as underdogs, but had been Carlton's bogey team in recent seasons.

Richmond won the toss and kicking against the wind managed to establish a one goal quarter time lead. The Tigers extended this to 15 points by half-time and both sides started the third quarter and the contest became very physical. Micky Crisp goaled for the Blues, followed by an answering goal from Doug Strang of Richmond, before Clarke closed the gap with another goal for Carlton. Two goals to one had the Blues back in the contest, and as the quarter ended punches were thrown requiring intervention from the umpire.

In a close, hard-fought contest neither side was giving an inch. The Tigers goaled through Percy Bentley, who would later guide Carlton to two flags in his 15 year tenure as Senior Coach, giving Richmond a 13 point lead. Harry Vallence would goal twice, once from a free and once after marking from a pass from Johnson, who had run almost the length of the field. Despite appearing to be rattled by the Blues surge, the Tigers responded with the next goal, but goals from Vallence and Bullen gave the Blues a 5 point lead.

The lead see-sawed again, with a Richmond goal to Doug Strang and then another goal to Bullen, and with 5 minutes to go Carlton had a 4 point lead. A dropped mark in the defensive goal square cost the Blues dearly, with Richmond roving and goaling and another from Titus gave the Tigers a hard earned victory.

This was the fifth final in a row that Carlton lost to Richmond dating back to the 1927 finals series.

In the Carlton rooms after the game, trophies were awarded to Gordon Mackie for his fine form that day and to Mocha Johnson for his play during the season. Captain Colin Martyn also announced his retirement.

Tigers triumph in classic
Richmond, playing desperately in the finish when all seemed lost, stemmed the tide to win the Grand Final. The Tigers have been runners-up five times in the last 11 years, and perhaps the remembered pain of defeat gave them the steel to produce their final burst. Richmond were seven points ahead at the last change and both teams suffered from the bruising exchanges of the match. The record crowd of 69,724 had already had their money's worth as players brought off wonderful pieces of play, and threw their bodies into packs to try and give their team a decisive break. As the last quarter progressed it was obvious that Richmond's big men, who had powered the drives out of the centre, were tiring. Carlton began to produce their steaming dashes down the ground and gained the lead for the first time. But suddenly the Tigers took over again. They were fuelled by a superb releiving dash from back pocket by Kevin O'Neil, his link with centreman Eric Zschech and a drop kick of pinpoint accuracy to forward Gordon Strang. He goaled then, with the crowd creating a continuous roar, the teams lined up for the last desperate minutes. Richmond goaled again through Zschech and that made the flag safe. Richmond's best were defenders Jack Baggott and Basil McCormack, O'Neil, Zschech and both Gordon and Doug Strang up forward. Carlton's best two players were Gordon Mackie in defence and Maurie Johnson, who was a power in defence and in the ruck and teamed well with rover Ansell Clarke. Full-forward Harry Vallence kicked five goals, a great effort in a losing side. - 100 Years of Australian Rules Football.

How Carlton's Goals Were Scored.

1. Harry Vallence (free), 2. Ansell Clarke (mark), 3. Harry Vallence (mark), 4. Harry Vallence (mark), 5. Keith Shea (snap), 6. Cresswell Crisp (mark), 7. Ansell Clarke (snap), 8. Harry Vallence (snap), 9. Harry Vallence (snap), 10. Keith Shea (snap), 11. Horrie Bullen (snap), 12. Horrie Bullen (snap)
(Referee October 05)

The Carlton team for the 1932 Grand Final was as follows:

B: 23 Jim Crowe 21 Frank Gill (vc) 20 Charlie Street
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 2 Colin Martyn (c) 5 Leo Opray
HF: 8 Keith Shea 27 Alf Egan 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 29 Horrie Bullen 22 Harry Vallence 19 Ron Cooper
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 15 Maurie Johnson 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 18 Jack Young
Coach: Dan Minogue


Trove: Talble Talk October 06



Trove: Images; Argus October 01 & 03



Last game: Colin Martyn
Interesting fact - Goalkicking: Vallence's 5 goals left him on 97 for the season which would remain a club best until Alex Jesaulenko's 115 in 1970.

Preliminary Final | 1933
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Chicko , Bombasheldon , timmyd , molsey , kkk , BlueWorld , WillowBlue , camelboy , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Friday 29 of July, 2022 17:36:03 AEST by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1984 Teal Cup Squad - Silvagni, Gleeson, Starbuck & Shane O'Sullivan.
2014 - Former Blue; John Lloyd.

Online Users

160 online users