Walker stars as Carlton demolish Port Power by 62 points at AAMI Stadium

Round 11, 2011

Carlton 3.3 21 5.7 37 9.11 65 16.15 111
Port Power 4.2 26 6.4 40 7.7 49 7.7 49
Venue: AAMI Stadium
Date: June 5, 2011
Result: Win by 62 points
Crowd: 23,192
Goalkickers: Walker 6, Garlett 4, Betts 2, Ellard, Robinson, Murphy, Yarran

Reports: Nil
Umpires: H. Kennedy, B. Ryan, M. Stevic
Injuries: Jamison (ankle)
Ladder: 4th

Game Review

The Carlton of 2011 now has additional baggage whenever it travels interstate - the weight of expectation. Gone are the days when a competitive showing against one of the interstate powers was accepted. In 2011 nothing short of four premiership points will do. The destination for the Blues’ third road trip of the season was Adelaide to face the on-field battling and financially struggling Port Power who were coming off just their second win of the season, though the Blues were red hot favourites.

Illustration: http://www.samcrook.com
Of the host of additions to the round ten squad announced after Thursday’s match committee meeting one fresh face was named as a definite to debut in the Sunday fixture. Twenty-one year old Irishman Zach Tuohy finally won promotion from the rookie list and with it came an instant call up after consistently impressive VFL form. The other inclusion was midfielder Ed Curnow returning after a few weeks off with an injured shoulder. Making way were the injured Jeremy Laidler (knee) and the unfortunate Brock McLean. The current depth of the Carlton list was highlighted by the quality of the emergencies missing the final cut - Ryan Houlihan, Lachie Henderson and Aaron Joseph.

With the dark, threatening storm clouds above AAMI stadium starting to leak rain getting off to a good start was going to be more important than usual. Sadly for the Blues it was Port starting the better and quickly jumping out to a two goal lead. The Blues were a little disorganised up forward which was highlighted further by sloppy disposal and their inability to hit simple targets in the greasy conditions. Michael Jamison appeared to roll an ankle early, compounding the Blues worries, but fortunately he returned later in the term. Thankfully Andrew Walker’s eye was in. Walker’s steady boot got the Blues started and if not for his hard running, good leads and accurate kicking the first quarter may have been a much sorrier tale than it ended up. As it was Walker delivered all three first quarter goals for Carlton and aside from some enthusiastic (yet inaccurate) assistance from Setanta O’hAilpin the forward line appeared some what dysfunctional. The Blues trailed by five points at the first break with Port playing the game very much on their terms.

Port continued to negate and stifle the Blues during the second and with both teams still struggling to come to terms with the conditions neither gained any real ascendency. The Blues fourth came through a familiar source with Walker again providing the only successful avenue to goal. After being hit up nicely by Heath Scotland at about 50m, Walker wheeled around on to his right and launched from around 55m. The ball carried through comfortably for a wonderful goal, his fourth. It took until late in the half for another forward to get on the board for the Blues. It came on the back of a wonderful effort from Shaun Hampson, playing one of his better games for the Blues. Outnumbered two-to-one on the wing he managed to free his hands and dish to Jarrad Waite cruising past. Waite’s penetrating kick put Eddie Betts clear out the back of the Port press and he ran in for the simplest of goals. The Blues fifth reduced the deficit to just three points at the main break.

With several of Carlton’s main contributors strangely quiet in the first half, most notably Captain Judd and Jeff Garlett, there was plenty of room for improvement from the Blues. After marking on the lead at centre half forward Garlett got the gift of a 50m penalty which put him in the goal square for a certainty getting his second half started in the best possible fashion. The goal gave the Blues the lead for the first time since the opening behind of the game. Betts chimed in for his second soon after, the beneficiary of a lovely centred ball from Marc Murphy. Murphy had been prominent all game with plenty of quality possession, taking the lead role in the midfield with Judd well held. Scotland was the other major contributor from the midfield, consistently providing quality delivery from his numerous possessions. After Port pinched one back Walker responded from close range on a tight angle for his fifth and although the Blues appeared to be getting on top the lead was still only eight points. A telling goal came in the last minute of the term when David Ellard kicked truly from just inside 50m after being played in by Mitch Robinson. Robinson had seen plenty of action and as usual his endeavour was stand out, but the pass to Ellard was beautifully weighted in contrast to some of his other work which had been slightly more agricultural. Zach Tuohy entered the game with a bang late in the term replacing the proppy Jamison. During his first possession he took off with apparent confidence, and after several strides bounced the ball only to see it rocket alarmingly back over his head (oh the cruelty of the oval shaped ball). The lead had stretched to 16 points with Ellard’s goal the biggest in the game to that point.

During the last quarter a marked transformation came over the game. Not only did it rain cats and dogs, making conditions extremely difficult, but the Blues seemed to take their game to another level which left Port floundering. At times during the final term Carlton made the game look a bit like a training drill, seemingly doing as they pleased when they wanted and goals flowed freely despite the miserable weather. Walker started the onslaught (a career best six) running into the open goal after a lightning feed from Betts, but it was Garlett’s second after swooping on a disastrous Port kick in that effectively sealed the game. From there the game blew wide open, with goals to Robinson, Murphy and Yarran (who had been clean and classy all night). The quarter was rounded out nicely with two more from Garlett (three for the term), who from nowhere had managed four for the game, after early on looking like having a very dirty night. With the ball up Carlton’s end for much of the quarter, the Blues’ defence would have been happy to keep a cleansheet - Port scoreless for the term.

The 62 point winning margin was somewhat deceptive because until early in the last the game was well and truly in the balance. It was another game that was there to be won and was won convincingly, in some ways made more satisfying with the lack of influence from Judd.


B:13 Chris Yarran 40 Michael Jamison32 Bret Thornton
HB: 34 Nick Duigan 2 Jordan Russell 4 Bryce Gibbs
C: 29 Heath Scotland 5 Chris Judd (C) 27 Dennis Armfield
HF: 3 Marc Murphy 30 Jarrad Waite 1 Andrew Walker
F: 19 Eddie Betts 17 Setanta Ó hAilpín 38 Jeffery Garlett
Ruck:22 Shaun Hampson 12 Mitch Robinson 44 Andrew Carrazzo
Interchange: 6 Kade Simpson 35 Ed Curnow 46 David Ellard
Substitute: 42 Zach Tuohy
Coach: Brett Ratten
Emg: 23 Lachie Henderson, 33 Ryan Houlihan, 45 Aaron Joseph


Debut: Zach Tuohy
Interesting Facts about Irishmen: This game represented the first time Carlton had played two Irishmen in the one team!. It was also the first time since 1992 that one team has fielded two Irishmen in the same team - Melbourne was the last team to do this when brothers Jim and Brian Stynes were in the same team. The game in question actually featured Carlton, when in Round 11, 1992 Carlton defeated Melbourne by 34 points at VFL Park.
Winning Streaks: This win extended our record winning streak over Port to 5 matches straight.
Score Records: This score would represent Port's lowest ever score against Carlton, being 5 points lower than their previous record from Season 2002. The odd bit is that Port won that game!
Interesting Facts about Carlton v Port games: The last 4 games against Port Adelaide at Football Park (dating back to 2008) were all played on Sundays. And in the combined last quarters of those matches, Carlton has scored 29 goals 15 behinds to Port Adelaide’s 2 goals 7 behinds!

Brownlow Votes

3. Mitch Robinson, Carlton
2. Andrew Walker, Carlton
1. Marc Murphy, Carlton

Best & Fairest Votes

Marc Murphy 41, Mitch Robinson 41, Andrew Walker 40, Heath Scotland 33, Andrew Carrazzo 31, Chris Yarran 26, Bryce Gibbs 19, Kade Simpson 12, Shaun Hampson 11, Bret Thornton 11, Nick Duigan 4, Jeffery Garlett 4


2011 Rd 11 P W D L Byes For Agn % Pts
1 Geelong 10 10 0 0 R6 R22 1038 703 147.65 40
2 Collingwood 10 9 0 1 R7 R13 1183 695 170.22 36
3 Hawthorn 10 8 0 2 R6 R17 1003 768 130.60 32
4 Carlton 10 7 1 2 R8 R23 988 745 132.62 30
5 Sydney 10 6 1 3 R5 R19 850 785 108.28 26
6 West Coast 10 6 0 4 R5 R15 966 804 120.15 24
7 Essendon 10 5 1 4 R10 R24 1060 846 125.30 22
8 Fremantle 10 5 0 5 R6 R16 912 958 95.20 20
9 Melbourne 10 4 1 5 R5 R16 919 896 102.57 18
10 Richmond 10 4 1 5 R11 R19 1002 1106 90.60 18
11 St Kilda 10 3 1 6 R4 R14 795 878 90.55 14
12 North Melbourne 10 3 0 7 R3 R21 908 970 93.61 12
13 Western Bulldogs 10 3 0 7 R4 R20 857 1004 85.36 12
14 Adelaide 10 3 0 7 R2 R16 798 991 80.52 12
15 Brisbane Lions 10 2 0 8 R4 R19 789 974 81.01 8
16 Port Adelaide 11 2 0 9 R12 R18 852 1248 68.27 8
17 Gold Coast 9 2 0 7 R1 R9 671 1220 55.00 8

Agst Rich G.Cst Coll
Adel Sydney St.Kilda BYE Geel Melb P.Adel
% 123.8 202.2
135.0 129.5 124.4 124.8 124.8 120.6 126.0 132.6  
Agst Sydney W.Cst Rich W.Bull Coll Ess N.Melb Melb Frem Haw BYE St.Kilda
Posn . . . . . . . . . . .  
% . . . . . . . . . . .  

Round 10 | Round 12
Contributors to this page: WillowBlue , molsey , Jarusa , PatsFitztrick , snakehips , pblue and Bombasheldon .
Page last modified on Thursday 27 of September, 2012 08:44:16 AEST by WillowBlue.

Google Search

Random Image

1968 GF - Garry Crane: Carlton's best player.
1956 Carlton players

Online Users

215 online users