Carlton lost to Collingwood by 6 points at Princes Park.

Round 6, 1936

Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday June 6, 1936
Result: Lose by 6 pointsUmpire: BlackburnCrowd: 46,000
Goalkickers: F.Anderson 3, A.Clarke 2, R.Cooper 2, D.McIntyre 2, C.Neeson 1, H.Vallence 1.
Best: J. Hale, F. Gilby, R. Cooper, F. Anderson, A. Clarke, F. Gill
Reports: Injuries: R.McLean (concussion and cut eye, replaced by McIntyre at quarter time), J. Park (broken hand), D. McIntyre (twisted ankle), C. Neeson (bruised thigh and ankle).

Game Review

In one of the greatest encounters between arch rivals Carlton and Collingwood, the Blues went down by six points in a thriller at Princes Park. A game that could have gone either way was eventually won due to Collingwood’s steadier play in the final minutes. Carlton had its chances in the last term, but Collingwood handled the pressure better.

Frank Maher held a light training session on Thursday evening, concentrating on muscle exercises and tactics for Saturday, and ending with a fast match practice session. Mick Crisp (thigh) and Jack Carney (knee) were on the park, hoping to be fit to play. Keith Dunn and Ted Pollock (back bruising) were unable to be considered. Gordon Mackie missed the session through work commitments. In the end Crisp, Wally Mutimer and George Collard were left out of the side and Frank Gill, Eric Huxtable and Don McIntyre (as 19th man) came in.

Another huge crowd of 46,000 was on hand to see the match of the round between ladder leader Collingwood and third placed Carlton. Jim Francis won the toss and kicked with the breeze to the grandstand end. Carlton started with McLean and Johnson in the ruck with Davey on the ball in the forward line. From the outset, play was fast and fierce with some rugged clashes as both sides vied to establish superiority. From one early exchange, McLean emerged with a cut eye and concussion. Attacks from both sides saw the opposing backmen dominate the play before Collingwood battled forward for the first score - a behind. Settling earlier than Carlton, a quick pass shortly after brought up the Magpies’ first goal. A mighty punch from the centre drove them deep into attack again for their second goal. Another attack followed and Hale was penalised for an illegal tackle. The long drop kick from the free made it three in a row for Collingwood. Carlton scored its first goal after the tenacious Carney was flattened. He got the ball to Shea, who sent a great pass to Anderson. His long running kick just beat a lunging defender for full points. Carlton thrust forward again and Neeson was unlucky when he juggled the ball through the goals while attempting to mark, and then Johnson from another shot hit the posts. Carlton had lifted and with steadier and determined play now had control. The ball was worked into the forward line where a Collingwood defender was caught holding the ball. From the free, Anderson’s long punt sailed straight through. A huge punt kick from Vallence just missed for a behind, but from the rebound, Green beat his opponent and found Vallence. He handballed to Cooper who brought up Carlton’s third goal and the lead with a running drop kick. Play was still fierce and tough but the pressure was relieved, to the amusement of all, when Gill chased and caught a dog which had entered the playing field. Both defences were well on top, with Hale, Gilby, Gill and Huxtable shining for the Blues. Chances were hard to come by and no score was registered for seven minutes as each side battled away. Late in the term, Hale brought the ball around the outer wing and from that, Dougherty shot at goal but missed for a behind to end the quarter. Carlton’s teamwork, effective defence and Shea, Carney and Cooper across the middle were the reasons for the three point lead.

McLean, very groggy, was replaced by McIntyre ay quarter time, which caused a reshuffle. McIntyre went to the back pocket, Park was sent into the forward lines and Anderson was brought into the ruck. Collingwood was quick to take advantage of the momentary unsettlement and banged on two quick goals, the first from a snap from the pack (despite some great work from Gill) and the other after a great mark. From a series of counter attacks, the Blues were only able to score a behind from Cooper, but Collingwood rebounded straight down the middle and kicked their sixth goal to lead by 11 points. Play was still very hard and strenuous and Carlton had to work desperately to get back in the game. Gilby provided the inspiration with a courageous dash at full speed through a pack and sent the ball to Vallence. He was met heavily and received three solid hits; the last one earning a free, from which he goaled. Then Hale, also after a great run from defence, passed to Shea and he and Carney helped Clarke to goal five. Hale again dashed forward but was bumped as he kicked and his shot went out of bounds. Carlton, due to McLean’s absence, had been forced to adapt and did so by rotating Neeson, Doherty and Anderson through the ruck and centre half forward. The tactic was effective and opened many gaps in the Magpie defence. Cooper, one of Carlton’s best, kicked long into the forward line and a Collingwood defender’s mistake gave Neeson the opportunity to score the sixth goal and give the Blues a three point lead. Collingwood now attacked but Gill was in the way and he passed to Gilby, who ran through the centre and forwarded but only a behind came. Another thrust forward gave another behind; this time from Vallence. There was still no quarter being given by either side. Collingwood pressed forward and a free against Gilby brought a goal which restored their lead. Another two Collingwood behinds and a single to Carton made the difference three points as the bell sounded, with the Blues mounting a promising attack. It had been Carlton’s quarter, despite the slender deficit. The Blues were faster and dominant across the centre, their defence was hard to crack and tactics had worked. Hale, Gilby, Gill, Cooper, Shea and Carney were excellent for the half.

Players from both sides were showing the marks of the rugged first half as they came out for the third quarter. Collingwood began smartly and went into attack, but only a behind resulted. Despite the breeze at their backs, Carlton again were slow to begin and a behind to Vallence was their only score by the five minute mark. Play had become congested with tempers fraying from the heavy physical work. It wasn’t a pretty game, but it was a thrilling one. Tenacious roving from Collingwood earned a free and an eventual goal. Another attack followed but a soaring punt went out of play. Carlton seemed to be on the defensive and had lost the initiative, allowing Collingwood gain the upper hand. Three Carlton attacks were mounted but each one came to nothing, until Anderson picked up a Collingwood miskick and kicked long at goal. Davey was able to shepherd the ball as it rolled through for Carlton’s seventh. Now Collingwood rallied strongly and peppered the goals, but five shots yielded only four behinds. McIntyre, limping badly, was sent into the forward line and Neeson moved into defence. Hale’s brilliance kept Carlton in the game. In a thirty yard dash, he was met solidly but kept going and passed low to unguarded Cooper, who wheeled and snapped truly to level the scores at 8-10 apiece. It seemed to spark Carlton and playing passionately, Gilby raced forward for the ball to end with Vallence who eluded the defence and passed to the limping McIntyre, who goaled. After Vallence missed an easy chance for a behind, the Blues were unable to get further ahead as the Woodsmen goaled from the rebound to make the difference only one point. A melee on the wing was wisely left alone by the umpires as Gilby stopped an attack as the bell rang.

Spectators at the ground were expecting a thrilling final term and it delivered in spades. From a centre bounce hit out, Clarke drove forward to Vallence, whose kick deserved more than a behind. Attacking again, Carlton pressed ahead but Park missed badly when he kicked out of bounds. Collingwood attacked but Neeson saved with a brilliant mark. Hale kicked into attack, where Green and Carney combined. Carney’s kick fell short, but Clarke was felled 45 yards out and goaled from the free to give the Blues an eight point lead. A goal from a pack to Collingwood brought them close and then two behinds levelled the scores again. Gill kicked out from goal towards Huxtable but Collingwood intercepted and with a series of passes drew ahead with a goal. Carlton now attacked and McIntyre had a chance but kicked a behind from an angle. He missed again shortly after. The tension was terrific as Shea, quiet after half time, slipped at the wrong moment, allowing Collingwood to race forward. A doubtful mark was paid despite Gill seeming to have half of it and from the kick, Collingwood goaled to lead by ten points. Carlton attacked again, but rebounding brilliantly, Collingwood’s full back took off on a great run which finished with him driving long at goal for a behind. With ten minutes to go, the Magpies were eleven points in front. The crowd was trembling with excitement, with fans hoarse from urging their side on. Dougherty and Green pressed Carlton forward and the crippled McIntyre marked Dougherty’s pass and goaled. Huxtable, Clarke, Shea and Davey were involved in a promising attack but Collingwood rebounded. They flung themselves forward but a goal shot went out of bounds. Another attack followed but Gill saved well and passed to Gilby. He found Shea who got the ball to Vallence, but his long kick looked good until it swerved at the last moment to shave the post. Urged on, Carlton attacked again through Cooper, who eluded his opponent and drove to Green who took the mark of the day – a full stretch fling on the ground. His kick carried across goal to where Cooper snapped from the pack to also hit the post, leaving the Blues behind by three points. A Collingwood attack also hit the post and two late behinds gave them a six point lead late in the game. A Collingwood player was carried off at this point and Carlton mounted one last effort, with Gill passing to Gilby who found Clarke. But his set shot went out of bounds, to the agony of Carlton fans. Collingwood rebounded but Gilby saved for Carlton, and the bell sounded as the Blues were setting up for another attack, ending another magnificent game of football between the two great teams.

After the game Carlton’s injuries became better known. Rod McLean had severe concussion, Jim Park bravely played with a broken hand he injured in the first term, Don McIntyre had a twisted ankle after half time and Clem Neeson had a badly bruised thigh and ankle.

Ex-Captain Maurie Johnson’s career at Princes Park came to a premature end after this match. The exact circumstances are unclear, but it seems that Mocha had a serious falling-out with new coach Frank Maher, and the situation deteriorated to the extent that one of them had to go. Mocha walked out and joined South Melbourne, where he proved to be as valuable to them as he had been to the Blues. South asked him to play forward more often, and he responded with 27 goals in his 19 games in 1935-’36.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 4th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 141.5.


B: 6 Fred Gilby 21 Frank Gill 26 Jim Park
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 10 Jim Francis (c) 11 Jack Hale
C: 7 Jack Carney 8 Keith Shea 32 Bob Green
HF: 15 Maurie Johnson 1 Frank Anderson 19 Ron Cooper
F: 35 George Dougherty 22 Harry Vallence 30 Clem Neeson
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 14 Rod McLean 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 2 Don McIntyre
Coach: Frank Maher


100 Games: Eric Huxtable
200 Goals: Ansell Clarke
Last Game: Maurie Johnson

Round 5 | Round 7
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , molsey , timmyd , WillowBlue , camelboy , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Monday 04 of May, 2020 15:07:55 AEST by Chicko.

Online Users

195 online users