Carlton defeated St Kilda by 53 points at Princes Park.

Round 7, 1936

St Kilda6.3399.55910.66611.975
Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday June 13, 1936
Result: Win by 53 pointsUmpire: OkeyCrowd: 22,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallance 5, A.Clarke 3, M.Crisp 3, F.Anderson 2, K.Dunn 2, R.Cooper 1, C.Davey 1, B.Green 1, H.Hollingshead 1.
Best: K. Shea, J. Carney, A. Clarke, M. Crisp, F. Anderson, F. Gilby
Reports: Frank Anderson (elbowing) - 4 weeks. Injuries: K.Shea (leg) replaced by G.Dougherty last quarter

Game Review

The Blues played a dominant second half to record a 53 point win against a plucky St Kilda, who burst out of the blocks early to lead by 37 points at one stage in the first quarter. When the Blues settled down, they overcame the Saints through cohesive, structured football, gradually wearing down the opposition’s defence.

Carlton had quite a few injury worries to consider at Thursday night’s training. Jim Park was out for four to five weeks with his broken hand, Mocha Johnson was troubled by his knee and would miss the game and Don McIntyre had not recovered from his sprained ankle. Rod McLean and Clem Neeson, both injured in last week’s game, were reporting as fit to play and Bob Green and Keith Shea had bad colds but were likely to play. Mick Crisp and Ted Pollock had recovered from their injuries and had light training sessions. Brought into the side were Mick Crisp, Keith Dunn and Harry Hollingshead for his first game. George Dougherty was named as 19th man.

Bleak weather with cold winds kept the attendance at Princes Park well down. The match began at 2.30pm due to the winter darkness. St Kilda had first use of the breeze and had 1-2 on the scoreboard before Carlton had crossed the centreline; the goal coming from a nice snap. Another goal from a snap made it two for the Saints in the first five minutes. Carlton went forward for two behinds but at this stage, St Kilda was on top all over and had Carlton’s defence under siege. Carlton was playing with no cohesion and looked lethargic and uncertain into the breeze. By contrast, St Kilda was winning across the centre and in the air and was driving into attack with long, penetrating kicks. In an astonishing burst, the Saints kicked another four goals in five minutes, all to their full forward, to give him the first six goals of the game. He was fast and elusive and Gill could not get near him. St Kilda had a lead of 37 points by the time the Blues steadied. Davey was moved into the ruck and forward moves came straight away, with Shea and Carney coming into the game. Davey, Crisp and Shea were involved in getting the ball to Dunn, whose long kick sailed through for Carlton’s first goal. Still with the upper hand, St Kilda kept attacking, but the hard worked defence of Carlton kept them out. Carlton went into attack again for Vallence and Clarke to register behinds, before Cooper and Anderson combined well and worked the ball to Crisp who snapped truly from 30 yards out for the second goal. Hale stopped a St Kilda attack as the bell sounded, leaving the Blues 23 points down at the first change.

Continuing their dominant play, St Kilda attacked from the outset and had scored another 1-1 in quick time to open the quarter. Anderson steadied Carlton, driving to Vallence who brought up the third goal. St Kilda responded with a behind and their eighth goal. Slowly, Carlton lifted and Shea and Carney started two attacks which led to goals from Crisp and Clarke. Only now did Carlton start to resemble their form from the previous week. Keeping the pressure on, Shea twice drove to Vallence, who goaled from a nice mark and then followed up with a snap over his shoulder for a goal, to leave the Blues just five points down. Unfortunately, the last ten minutes of the quarter was marred by a series of melees and spiteful incidents. Anderson was reported for elbowing in one incident but similar happenings were occurring all over. When play settled, St Kilda was the first to recover with their ninth goal, but Carlton was quick to respond with Carney, excellent to this stage, kicking a behind. Following up, he brought the ball around the wing to Shea. He passed to Anderson whose kick fell short near the boundary line. Dashing bravely through a pack, Crisp picked up the loose ball and goaled from an angle. The bell rang with Carlton only four points down at half time, but the Blues were now on level terms play-wise with St Kilda. Carney, Shea, Crisp and Anderson had been Carlton’s best for the first half.

It took only minutes of the third quarter for Carlton gain the lead after great play from Hale and Shea resulted in Dunn marking and goaling. The wind direction had shifted and Carlton had the use of the breeze for the second quarter in a row. Carney, with a new opponent in an attempt to quell his influence, led Carlton into attack again and good team play enabled Anderson to kick his second goal and extend the lead. St Kilda’s response was quick, thrusting from the centre for their tenth goal to cut Carlton’s lead to just a point. The game was still ragged and scrambling and the ugly incidents continued. When a St Kilda player was heavily felled, an all-out brawl seemed likely until a free kick to the Saints calmed things down. However Carlton was now a more structured team and, winning well across the centre, were starting to look like probable victors. The dangerous Carney, driving from the middle, found Vallence who easily kicked the eleventh goal. Behinds to Shea and Clarke followed. Then Hale was heavily downed in a pack and was awarded a free. Unable to take his kick, he gave to Francis who neatly passed to Clarke. His running snap gave Carlton its twelfth goal. Now in full control, the Blues pressed forward again to Clarke who marked on the boundary line. His place kick just missed, but a free to Carney kept Carlton in the forward line where Green seized a loose ball and goaled to give a handy 24 point lead at the last change.

A behind to St Kilda started the final term but Carlton was now the superior team. When Cooper evaded several defenders for a great goal, the fire went out of the game and St Kilda’s resistance came to an end. Any time the Saints did get into attack they met the solid wall of Hale, Gilby, Francis and Gill, while Carlton went further ahead with goals from Hollingshead, Clarke and Anderson. After Shea fell heavily with a thigh injury and was replaced by Dougherty, Vallence kicked his fifth for the game and his 550th goal overall. A late goal to Davey further extended Carlton’s lead before St Kilda scored their lone goal for the term just before the bell to give the Blues a 53 point victory. It hadn’t been a pretty game and had taken a quarter and a half for the Blues to wake up, but the second half demonstrated their ability and talent.

Players Laid Low in Melbourne Match

Melbourne Saturday "One of the roughest Australian Rules football matches of the season was the League game between Carlton and St.Kilda today. Players on both sides were unnecessarily vigorous, and Mackie (St.Kilda) had to be led from the field with blood streaming down his face after he had been dealt a blow when marking. Carney (Carlton), the smallest man on the ground, was frequently bowled over in heavy crushes, and it was common to see four or five players on the ground at the same time. Several players were unable to take their kicks after marking because they had been injured when in the air, and it often appeared certain that a general brawl would develop.

All resources of the trainers were required to cope with the fierce incidents which caused the game to be frequently held up.
(Sunday Mail, Brisbane June 14 p11)

At the end of this round Carlton were in 4th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 145.3.


B: 6 Fred Gilby 21 Frank Gill 30 Clem Neeson
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 10 Jim Francis (c) 11 Jack Hale
C: 7 Jack Carney 8 Keith Shea 32 Bob Green
HF: 19 Ron Cooper 1 Frank Anderson 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp (vc)
F: 23 Harry Hollingshead 22 Harry Vallence 5 Keith Dunn
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 14 Rod McLean 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 35 George Dougherty
Coach: Frank Maher


Debut: Harry Hollingshead

Round 6 | Round 8
Contributors to this page: Chicko , blueycarlton , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , molsey , timmyd , kkk , WillowBlue , camelboy , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Monday 04 of May, 2020 14:56:50 AEST by Chicko.

Online Users

126 online users