Carlton defeated Geelong by 2 points at Princes Park.

Round 16, 1914

Carlton 0.1 1 2.6 18 3.10 28 4.12 36
Geelong 2.1 13 2.2 14 3.2 20 5.4 34
Venue: Princes Park Date: Saturday August 1, 1914
Result: Won by 2 points Umpire: Norden Crowd: 25,000 Takings: 320 pounds
Goalkickers: C.Fisher 2, G.Calwell 1, B.Cook 1.
Best: C.Fisher, B. Dick, R. McGregor, G.Challis, A. Baud, P.Daykin, G.Calwell, H. Haughton
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

"... and Carlton took in McDonald. Green, who was in the Carlton team, failed to put in an appearance, and they would have played Valentine, but he refused to strip, although on the spot.
The ground was in fair condition, but the grass being wet made the ball greasy and difficult to hold."
(Winner August 05 p8)

An important match for the Blues as they were fighting for a double chance and the prestige of being minor premiers. A heavy morning fog made the ground slippery. Play began at 3pm. The ball became greasy making ball handling difficult, and a new ball was used after half time. Geelong dominated the first term and the Carlton captain realising the weakness of his team's attack moved A.Baud onto the half forward line after the break. The Blues began to play better and Cook kicked Carlton's first goal from a nice place kick. R. McGregor, P. Daykin, and A.Baud were instrumental in the Blues forward thrusts and C. Fisher scored the second goal for the home team. The Blues held a 4 point lead at half time. C. Fisher again scored with a "magnificent left foot drop from 55 yards out." to take lead out to 14 points. The Pivitonians then replied to reduce the lead to 8 points.

The visitors attacked again but managed only a point when the bell rang. Geelong scored an early goal to make the difference only 1 point. Half way through the term Daykin scored a behind to take the lead out to a mere 2 points. It was a battle of the back lines as the ball was hard fought for. With 10 minutes remaining Geelong's Heinz scored a goal to put the visitors in the lead by 4 points (5.3 to 3.11) The Blues hit back "when a towering snapshot by Calwell reversed the decision by 2 points, admist the hoarse cheers and upraised hats of the home supporters." The visitors scored a behind to reduce the margin to just one point. Geelong then hit the post, but the player was free kicked for holding the ball. In the last minute Stan McKenzie scored another point, and the Blues held on for a 2 point victory. Carlton held onto the important top spot, 4 premiership points clear of second placed Fitzroy.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 1st spot on the ladder with a percentage of 130.3.


B: 4 Andy McDonald 15 Ernie Jamieson 26 George Calwell
HB: 25 Alf Baud 1 Billy Dick (c) 7 Steve Leehane
C: 12 George Challis 19 Rod McGregor 2 Ted Brown
HF: 3 Percy Daykin 22 Bill Cook Stan McKenzie
F: 30 Jack Lowe 13 Vin Gardiner 21 Charlie Fisher
Ruck: 5 Harry Haughton (vc) 24 Charlie Hammond 20 Athol Sharp
Coach: Norman Clark


50 Games: George Challis

Round 15 | Round 17
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , camelboy , molsey , WillowBlue , true_blue24 , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Tuesday 01 of March, 2016 08:43:29 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Online Users

125 online users