Carlton defeated North Melbourne by 68 points at Princes Park. Soapy Vallence kicked 8. Ron Cooper was resported for the curious offence of kicking the ball away.

Round 6, 1935

Nth Melbourne2.5176.9458.12609.1468
Venue: Princes ParkDate: Monday June 3, 1935
Result: Win by 68 pointsUmpire: W.BlackburnCrowd: 20,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 8, G.Dougherty 3, J.Hale 3, M.Crisp 2, C.Denning 2, K.Dunn 2.
Best: H. Vallence, J. Hale, R. Cooper, J. Francis, R. Green, F. Gill
Reports: Ron Cooper (Kicking Ball Away) - Reprimand, Ted Pollock (two charges - striking and attempted striking - Two game Suspension) Injuries:

Game Review

This game, played on the King’s Birthday Monday, pitted a finals aspirant against the bottom side, but was still well attended by the faithful of each team. But after a mediocre first term, the Blues dominated the game from the second quarter and increased their lead as the game went on, eventually doubling North Melbourne’s score.

Two changes were announced on the Thursday night. Wally Mutimer, having recovered from his concussion, was out with an ankle injury and Jack Cashman was omitted. Included in the nineteen were Ted Pollock for his first game of the year and Jim Park. Ansell Clarke was not included and indicated to the board that he was dissatisfied at being left out and wanted a clearance to St Kilda. The board refused the application. Jim Park also applied for a clearance but this was deferred.

Both sides opened cautiously, each careful and wary of the other’s strengths. The defences were both on top, and the forwards lacked cohesion and accuracy in attack. North were using their weight freely but their efforts against the tough Carlton players were wasted, as they were sacrificing their own skills in doing so. There was too much attention on the player shown by both sides and skills were well down. An ordinary quarter ended with North Melbourne leading by one point.

The standard rose in the second term. Carlton, using handball well, adopted attacking straight down the middle and Vallence scored the opening goal. North Melbourne answered immediately with their third. North were playing wide and were matching the Blues at this stage, however lacked Carlton’s confidence and poise and often crowded the ball. A goal to Hale was answered by North and another shortly after restored their lead. Crisp then threaded his way through the North defence and Vallence quickly had another. North were still right in it and kicked their sixth, and it looked like a great game was in hand. But Carlton had other ideas and lifted and, like last week, broke the game open in the second term and dominated the rest of the quarter. Playing superb football, using all their skill and pace, Carlton kicked five goals in as many minutes to take a stranglehold on the game; Vallence kicking two and Hale, Dunn and Dougherty one each. Another goal soon after put Carlton ahead by 38 points at the main break. The change in the game had been sensational and the Blues were on top all over. Had Carlton kicked more accurately (10 goals 7 being scored), the lead could have been greater. Vallence, Dunn, Green, Dougherty and Crisp were prominent first half players.

North Melbourne replaced a player during the break and shuffled their side around in an attempt to get back into the game. The determined Shinboners had much of the play but Carlton’s strong defence, with Gill and Francis both playing well, continuously pressured, harassed and bumped to prevent any scoring. The Blues’ systematic play and coolness under pressure was a feature of their dominance, keeping an increasingly desperate North at bay. Carlton led by 43 points going into the last term.

Carlton kept the pressure up on the resumption and, helped by superiority in the air and on the ground, increased their lead as the game went on. The Blues were finishing strongly and much of the earlier excitement had gone. Five goals to one for the term pushed the lead out to 68 points by the time the final bell sounded on a game marked by Carlton’s dominance after quarter time.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 4th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 126.2.


B: 6 Fred Gilby 21 Frank Gill 20 Alby De Luca
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 10 Jim Francis 1 Frank Anderson
C: 27 Clete Turner 8 Keith Shea 32 Bob Green
HF: 11 Jack Hale 35 George Dougherty 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp (vc)
F: 16 Ted Pollock 22 Harry Vallence 34 Clen Denning
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (c) 5 Keith Dunn 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 26 Jim Park
Coach: Frank Maher


50 Games: Keith Shea
Most Consecutive Games: Jim Francis begun his record breaking run of 142 consecutive matches for the Blues.

Round 5 | Round 7
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , molsey , timmyd , kkk , WillowBlue , camelboy , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Saturday 25 of May, 2019 16:10:03 AEST by Chicko.

Online Users

61 online users