1992 SummaryIn David Parkin's second year as senior coach (in his second stint at the club) Carlton showed genuine improvement in 1992. After only 8 wins in 1991, the Blues managed 14 wins during the season to finish in seventh place on the ladder. In fact, the Blues would miss out on finals action by percentage only, and could easily have played on into September but for defeat in the last two matches.
After not being able to win more than two games in a row in 1991, the team won its first three encounters, as well as six consecutive matches between rounds 16 and 22. In another sign of progress, Carlton would only lose 2 games in a row twice during the season, after having lost 4 games in a row twice the previous season.
A Round 23 loss to Collingwood probably prevented the club from playing in the finals. The match had been closely fought until three quarter time, when the Blues managed to eke out a 7 point lead. A 5 goal to 1 last quarter give Collingwood a 16 point win, and meant that Carlton needed to win against West Coast at Subiaco in Round 24 to guarantee a position in the finals. The Eagles were dominant in the first quarter, kicking 7 goals to none, a position from which the team wouldn't recover. Unfortunately for the Blues, Hawthorn's win over Melbourne the previous day had bumped us down to seventh, and out of the top 6, where we had been for most of the season.
People of 1992Coach: David Parkin
Captain: Stephen Kernahan
Best & Fairest: Stephen Kernahan
Leading Goal-kicker: Stephen Kernahan - 83 goals
MilestonesDebuts: Ron De Iulio, Paul McCormack, Stephen Oliver, Brett Sholl, Rohan Welsh, Brendon Parker, Anthony Koutoufides, Ben Robertson
Debuts (Carlton): Mark Athorn, Earl Spalding, Matthew Hogg, Brent Heaver and Greg Williams
100th Game: Mil Hanna
150th Game: Craig Bradley
- Coach Brendon Bolton welcomes Jacob Weitering to Carlton.jpg
- Jacob Weitering.jpg
- Weitering takes a big pack mark for Vic Country - 2015.jpg
- Stephen Silvagni takes another 'speccy' against Collingwood.jpg
- Football commentator Lou Richards joins the Bluebirds.jpg
- Classic defence - Bruce Doull punches the ball clear.jpg
- 1960 Night Series match at South Melbourne - Carlton vs Richmond.jpg
- Carlton Footballers Cricket Team 1932-33.jpg
- The huge crowd at the 1938 Grand Final vs Collingwood.jpg
- 1909 VFL Grand Final -South Melbourne enters the field.jpg
81 online users