Blue murder at Docklands - GWS breaks records, and breaks Bluebagger hearts.

Round 7, 2015

Carlton 2.0 12 4.1 25 8.2 50 9.3 57
GWS 4.4 28 8.10 58 16.11 111 19.21 135
Venue: Docklands Stadium
Date: Saturday, May 16, 2015. 4.35 pm.
Result: Lost by 78 points
Crowd: 16,676
Goalkickers: C. Judd 2, T. Menzel 2, L. Casboult, A. Everitt, Z. Tuohy, C. Wood , C. Yarran 1.
Umpires: B. Hosking, S. McInerney, A. Mitchell
Injuries: Cripps (tight calf) replaced in selected side by Ellard, Murphy (nose)
Ladder: 16th

Game Review

Carlton’s season from hell continued when the AFL’s test-tube club; Greater Western Sydney, emerged as football’s version of Frankenstein’s Monster and tore the Blues apart on this horror night at Docklands. Packed with the cream of the AFL draft for the last five seasons, the rapidly-maturing youngsters of GWS were too big, too talented, too confident and far more committed than a pedestrian Carlton side that was humiliated by 78 points. Carlton’s cause wasn’t helped by the withdrawal of emerging midfielder Pat Cripps prior to the game, or by the near-knockout of captain Marc Murphy in the first quarter. But overall it was an insipid effort that plunged the club even deeper into crisis.

In the aftermath of the previous week’s defeat by bottom side Brisbane, Carlton selectors axed six players for this game; Liam Jones, Clem Smith, Mark Whiley, Dylan Buckley, Nick Graham and Blaine Boekhorst. In addition, Andrew Walker had damaged a knee, and Cripps’ withdrawal brought the total number of changes to eight. Promoted were Chris Yarran (back from suspension), Simon White, Matthew Watson, Troy Menzel, Andrew Carrazzo, Jason Tutt, Matthew Dick and David Ellard – who was called up as a late replacement for Cripps, and named as Carlton’s substitute.

Under the roof at Docklands on a cool, dry Saturday afternoon, the Blues kicked two of the first three goals of the match to lead by three points after 20 minutes of play. Five minutes later, Murphy copped a flying elbow to the face from one of his own team-mates, then was unintentionally kicked in the back of the head as he lay on the ground. Wobbly and bleeding from the nose, he was helped to the bench, and from then on Carlton was blown off the park. Down by 16 points at quarter time, the gap steadily widened to 33 points at the long break, and 61 points after a dominant third quarter by the Giants. In the final term, Carlton’s forward line was deserted most of the time, as coach Mick Malthouse strove to limit the damage.

On another afternoon of deep despair for the rapidly-thinning Carlton masses, the gulf between a team intent on a finals berth and a group of individuals worried about their survival in the game was laid bare. GWS came out big winners because they had an outstanding ruckman in Brett Mumford, two raw but potentially brilliant key forwards in Jeremy Cameron and Cameron McCarthy, and a talented midfield that ran hard and used the ball with impressive efficiency.

Sadly, the days when we could say the same about the Mighty Blues were long gone. Impotent in attack, outclassed in the ruck and tissue-thin in defence, this team had no confidence and seemed intent only on self-preservation – with a bare few exceptions. As usual, Chris Judd busted his gut for his team, collecting 26 disposals, 5 clearances and two goals, and skipper Murphy returned to the field after his near-death experience to register 24 possessions, 8 marks and 4 clearances. Much maligned in recent weeks, Bryce Gibbs tried hard to rally the troops and collected 23 possessions, 10 clearances and 8 tackles, and although his opponent Cameron kicked five goals, Sam Rowe stuck to his task and won his share of contests.


B: 35 Ed Curnow 17 Sam Rowe 18 Kristian Jaksch
HB: 13 Chris Yarran 42 Zach Tuohy 31 Matthew Dick
C: 39 Dale Thomas 44 Andrew Carrazzo 22 Jason Tutt
HF: 5 Chris Judd 41 Levi Casboult 27 Dennis Armfield
F: 43 Simon White 10 Matthew Watson 2 Troy Menzel
Ruck: 36 Cameron Wood 4 Bryce Gibbs (VC) 3 Marc Murphy (C)
Interchange: 15 Sam Docherty 28 Tom Bell 33 Andrejs Everitt
Substitute: 46 David Ellard
Emergencies: 9 Patrick Cripps 20 Nick Holman 32 Nick Graham
Coach: Mick Malthouse


In : Andrew Carrazzo, Matthew Dick, David Ellard, Troy Menzel, Matthew Watson, Simon White, Chris Yarran.
Out : Blaine Boekhorst, Dylan Buckley, Nick Graham, Liam Jones, Clem Smith, Andrew Walker, Mark Whiley.

Late Change: David Ellard replaced Patrick Cripps in the selected side.

Subs: David Ellard replaced Matthew Watson during the third quarter.

Brownlow Votes

3. Callan Ward, GWS
2. Jeremy Cameron, GWS
1. Adam Treloar, GWS

Best & Fairest Votes

Ed Curnow 5, Jason Tutt 3, Andrejs Everitt 2, Bryce Gibbs 1, Chris Judd 1

Round 6 | Round 8
Contributors to this page: PatsFitztrick , WillowBlue and molsey .
Page last modified on Thursday 23 of June, 2016 22:35:47 AEST by PatsFitztrick.

Google Search

Random Image

1987 Stephen Kernahan article (page 2 of 2) 11/03/87.
1984 Qual. Final - Fraser Murphy breaks away from Peter Schwab.

Online Users

343 online users