Carlton defeated St Kilda by 31 points at Junction Oval.

Round 7, 1931

Carlton 5.1 31 7.8 50 10.16 76 12.18 90
St Kilda 3.2 20 6.8 44 6.9 45 8.11 59
Venue: Junction Oval Date: Saturday June 13, 1931
Result: Won by 31 points Umpire: Batt Crowd: 25,000 (approx.)
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 4, A.Clarke 3, M.Crisp 2, L.Allen 1, T.Downs 1, A.Egan 1.
Reports: Nil Injuries: M.Johnson (knee) replaced by F.Williams in last quarter

Game Review

Another win for Carlton, their third in a row, saw the Blues move up the ladder to 3rd position.

The match got underway with Umpire Batt bouncing the ball on the grandstand wing as the centre of the ground was very heavy. The Blues attacked but the Saints' defence stood firm. Then the ball was taken down to the St.Kilda forward line where the home team scored a goal. The Blues were quick to reply via Denis Kelleher who passed to Harry Vallence and Carlton's first goal was on the board. The Saints soon added another goal. Good play by Colin Martyn passed to Harry Vallence whose running shot went through. The Blues added to their goal tally through the work of Charlie Davey who delivered the ball to Tommy Downs. Free kicks resulted in goals to both teams, with Harry Vallence scoring the Blues' fourth. Colin Martyn once again broke through the Saints' defence and Ansell Clarke added another goal. At quarter time the Blues led by 11 points, 5.1 - 3.2
St.Kilda missed at least four easy chances early in the quarter. Carlton's Ansell Clarke goaled and the Saints finally broke through for their fourth. Then the Blues' lead was cut to just two points when the Saints added another goal. Colin Martyn dodging his opponents kicked to Ansell Clarke for his second and Carlton's seventh. Now it was the Blues turn to miss shots at goal and added six behinds, with Horrie Clover, Joe Kelly and Tommy Downs all missing straight forward shots. At half time Carlton led by 6 points, 7.8 - 6.8
Carlton's rucks dominated early in the third term, Ansell Clarke roving to Denis Kelleher kicked the ball long where Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp soccered through the eighth goal. The Blues' poor kicking continued, out of ten shots at goal they only managed 1.7 Harry Vallence broke the run of misses with a nice goal. A string of high marks by Charlie Davey, Harry Vallence and Alf Egan who added another goal just before half time. The Blues held a handy lead of 21 points at the last break, 10.16 - 6.9
St.Kilda added a goal, then good play by Ansell Clarke, and Colin Martyn enabled Crisp to kick the answering goal. The Saints not to be out done scored another. However, Horrie Clover passed to Les Allen for the Blues' final goal. An inaccurate Carlton won the game by 31 points, 12.18 - 8.11

At the end of this round Carlton were in 5th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 132.5.

You may have noticed that the Round orders in this year appear to be slightly out of order. Please click here to find out why.


B: 23 Jim Crowe 21 Frank Gill (acting vc) 32 Frank O'Rourke
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 14 Jack Green 15 Maurie Johnson
C: 7 Joe Kelly 2 Colin Martyn (acting capt.) 30 Vin Arthur
HF: 27 Alf Egan 1 Horrie Clover 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 20 Les Allen 22 Harry Vallence 31 Ansell Clarke
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 10 Denis Kelleher 3 Tommy Downs
19th Man: 29 Fred Williams
Coach: Dan Minogue

Round 5 | Round 8
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , timmyd , molsey , WillowBlue , camelboy , nikki , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Sunday 05 of July, 2015 06:51:37 AEST by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1999 - Club song sung by Hickmott, Elliott, Sexton & Murphy.
1980 Rd 12 Doull & Klomp swoop on Kink & loose footy.

Online Users

230 online users