Carlton defeated Melbourne by 4 points at Princes Park, with Soapy Vallence posting another 7 goals.

Round 6, 1933

Venue: Princes ParkDate: Monday June 5, 1933
Result: Win by 4 pointsUmpire: BarlowCrowd: 32,000
Goalkickers: H.Vallence 7, J.Green 2, K.Shea 2, A.Clarke 1, J.Cooper 1.
Best: E. Huxtable, B. Green, H. Vallence, J. Green, J. Hale, G. Mackie
Reports: Frank Gill (Striking Bob Johnson) - 8 weeks. Injuries:

Game Review

In yet another tight contest, Carlton, despite leading by 25 points at one stage of the last quarter, held off a fast-finishing Melbourne combination in this match played at Princes Park on the King’s Birthday holiday Monday. ‘Soapy’ Vallence continued his sizzling form at full-forward to post another seven goals, but Blues captain Frank Gill incurred the wrath of the field umpire and was reported for striking his opponent Bob Johnson. Gill was found guilty by the tribunal, and suspended for eight games.

Carlton announced five changes on the Thursday night. Included were Jack Hale, Bob Green, Fred Gilby, Eric Little and Jack Cooper for his first game. To miss were Mick Crisp (jarred ankle), Jim Park, Jack Young, Leo Oprey and Charlie Street. However, a last minute injury to Mocha Johnson gave Street a reprieve and he kept his spot.

The game opened in beautiful weather to a series of attacks by Melbourne but only behinds resulted. Some good defensive work from Mackie saved Carlton. Both sides had trouble finding the goals, with snaps from Huxtable, Vallence and Jack Green scoring only minor scores. Melbourne was the faster side, but the Carlton defence was on top. Goals were at a premium, until a neat chain of handballs between Huxtable, Shea and Bullen resulted in a stab pass to Vallence who lined up and kicked the first goal. He was paid a doubtful mark shortly after, which gave the Blues goal number two. Melbourne replied from the bounce with a good attacking move for their first goal. Jack Green kicked Carlton’s third goal from a kick off the ground, which bounced over the heads of two Melbourne defenders. Towards the end of the quarter, a great mark gave Melbourne their second goal to trail by seven points at quarter time.

Melbourne goaled from clever football shortly after the resumption – their full forward drawing Carlton’s defence down the field to open up the forward line. An erratic kick scored them a behind, but then Vallence scored two goals in quick succession, despite good Melbourne defence. The first was from a free kick, and the other from running snap. A goal to Melbourne got them within three points, before they lost poise and Carlton swooped for three goals. First, Vallence goaled from a brilliant mark and fine kick, then Clarke followed with a carbon copy of the Vallence goal, and finally Shea goaled from a nice piece of play. At half time, Carlton had a 21 point lead.

The third quarter began with Little attacking from the centre and passing to Shea for Carlton’s ninth goal, but Melbourne answered immediately with their fifth. Vallence kicked his sixth goal from a great mark to extend the lead. The eleventh goal came up after Vallence dropped an easy mark, but Jack Green was able to pick up the crumbs for an accurate snap. Melbourne restored the game back to 21 points by three quarter time with two quick goals. It had been a very even term.

Carlton opened with Vallence marking a kick from Davey and kicking truly. After ten minutes of play, Carlton led by 25 points. However, Melbourne was not finished and began a great last quarter comeback with two quick goals. A quick response with a goal to Jack Cooper, who intercepted a defender’s kick, seemed to give the Blues a handy buffer, but suddenly Melbourne was finishing all over Carlton. Another two goals, one from handy work around the packs and the other from a free kick, left Melbourne only eight points down with six minutes remaining. Carlton could not break through the Demons’ defence. In a marking contest, Gill struck a Melbourne forward in the face. Although maintaining it was accidental, the free was paid against the Blues’ skipper and Melbourne goaled to be within two points late in the term. Gill was later reported over the infringement. The excitement was tremendous as Melbourne mounted an attack around the wing and with great play shot at goal, but only a minor score resulted. In a hectic last few minutes, Carlton made three forward thrusts, but only three behinds resulted. It was enough to keep the Blues in front and the game ended with a four point victory.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 6th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 99.0.


B: 6 Fred Gilby 21 Frank Gill (c) 29 Horrie Bullen
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 11 Jack Hale
C: 7 Joe Kelly 28 Eric Little 32 Bob Green
HF: 8 Keith Shea 14 Jack Green 33 Jack Cooper
F: 1 Les Hughson 22 Harry Vallence 19 Ron Cooper
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 20 Charlie Street 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 23 Jim Crowe
Coach: Dan Minogue


Debut: Jack Cooper
100 Goals: Jack Green

Round 5 | Round 7
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , molsey , timmyd , kkk , WillowBlue , camelboy , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 21 of September, 2017 21:12:46 AEST by Chicko.

Google Search

Random Image

1972 - John Nicholls.
1930 Frank Gill Rnd 3 v Hawthorn at Glenferrie Oval

Online Users

187 online users