A depleted Carlton team falls to North Melbourne, in a Monday night match at the MCG.

Round 2, 1997

Carlton 1.6 12 2.9 21 4.11 35 8.12 60
Nth Melb 2.2 14 7.8 50 11.12 78 12.14 86
Date: Monday night - April 7, 1997 Venue: MCG
Result: Loss by 26 points Umpires: Sawers, McBurney, Carey Crowd: 38,170
Goalkickers: G.Manton 2, L.Whitnall, C.Bradley, D.Rice, A.White, P.Dean, A.Koutoufides 1.
Best: M.Sexton, C.Bradley, B.Ratten, L.Whitnall, S.Camporeale, M.Allan.
Reports: G.Williams (kneeing). D.Laidley (NM) by the Match Review Panel - suspended for 3 weeks. Injuries: A.Whitehead (shoulder), R.De Iulio (knee).

Game Review

It had been a dramatic week off field for Carlton and Greg Williams, with a tribunal appearance for making contact with an umpire in Round 1, which earned him a 9 week suspension. The matter was appealed at the Supreme Court and he was granted a stay, enabling him to play. Roos supporters did not seem too happy about this and booed him at every opportunity. It seemed the traumatic events had an effect on him and not only did he not have a great game but was reported for the second week in a row for kneeing. This would earn him a 3 week suspension which he would be forced to serve.

The Blues were still without Kernahan, Silvagni, Spalding, Brown and Pearce, as well as Hanna (hamstring), replaced by first gamer Adam White. This was counter-balanced to a degree by Wayne Carey's absence for the Roos.

Carlton wasted opportunities in the first quarter, kicking 1 goal 6, while the Roos managed 2.2. But the aggressive Roos took control of the match in the second quarter, scoring 5 goals to 1, followed by a 4 goal to 2 third quarter, to take a 43 point lead at the final change. The Blues fumbled and disposed poorly under the pressure applied by their opponents, who made them pay for their mistakes. A 4 goal to 1 final quarter would reduce the final margin to a more respectable 26 points.

Michael Sexton held the defence together in the absence of Silvagni and had 23 possessions and 9 marks. Craig Bradley played a near lone role in the midfield with 30 possessions and a goal, although Brett Ratten had 23. Matthew Allan, now the #1 ruckman, keeping Madden in the reserves, won the ruck duel with 20 possessions, 8 marks and 8 hit outs. In his second of his three games for Carlton, Micky McGuane came onto the ground midway through the second quarter and made an immediate impact by bowling a couple of North Melbourne opponents over. Sadly he failed to do little else though.


B: 34 Ron De Iulio 22 Glenn Manton 32 Adrian Whitehead
HB: 5 Andrew McKay 14 Michael Sexton 39 Ang Christou
C: 16 Scott Camporeale 7 Brett Ratten 43 Anthony Koutoufides
HF: 23 Dean Rice 6 Matt Clape 31 Mick McGuane
F: 8 Lance Whitnall 18 Justin Murphy 36 Aaron Hamill
Ruck: 24 Matthew Allan 2 Greg Williams 21 Craig Bradley (a/c)
Interchange: 35 Peter Dean 30 Adam White 27 Luke O'Sullivan
Coach: David Parkin
In: Adam White
Out: Mil Hanna (hamstring)


Debut: Adam White

Brownlow Votes

3: David King (KAN)
2: Michael Sexton (CARL)
1: Anthony Stevens (KAN)

Round 1 | Round 3
Contributors to this page: PatsFitztrick , Bombasheldon , hatbadges , molsey , BlueWorld , WillowBlue , kruddler and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 11 of December, 2014 20:20:17 AEDT by PatsFitztrick.

Google Search

Random Image

1975 - Alan Mangels.
1938 Grand Final - Brighton Diggins leading the team out onto the ground.

Online Users

215 online users