Carlton defeated North Melbourne by 2 points at Arden Street.

Round 17, 1934

Nth Melbourne4.3275.7377.8508.856
Venue: Arden StDate: Saturday September 8, 1934
Result: Win by 2 pointsUmpire: ScottCrowd: 8,000
Goalkickers: A.Clarke 2.3, M.Crisp 2.1, F.Anderson 1.4, J.Cashman 1.2, R.Cooper 1.1, T.Pollock 0.2, H.Bullen 0.1, K.Shea 0.1, rushed 0.1.
Best: A. De Luca, R. Cooper, F. Gill, J. Francis, J. Cashman, H. Bullen
Reports: Eric Huxtable (Attempting to kick Jack Smith) - Not GuiltyInjuries: T.Pollock replaced by K.Dunn at three quarter time.

Game Review

Carlton were lucky winners of this rugged encounter with North Melbourne. In one of the toughest games of the year, North, looking for their first win of the season, led at every change and were the better side all day, winning decisively in defence and across the centre. Carlton’s forwards were once again inaccurate, scoring seven goals from 23 shots.

The selectors made one change to the side which defeated Fitzroy last Saturday. Harold Maskell, having served his six week suspension, was included in place of Frank Finn, who was omitted. Keith Dunn was made 19th man.

In ideal conditions, North was into attack early, using a chain of passes to score the first goal. They followed up with a second soon after with a lovely punt kick. Carlton seemed to be struggling, lacking its usual poise. Bullen and Cooper featured in some splendid play and forwarded to Clarke, but his long shot went astray. North’s defence was well on top, setting up many attacks. Play was very rough with many players receiving some hard bumps. North’s rugged tactics were forcing Carlton’s forwards into errors. Carlton’s first goal game from Crisp, superb on a flank, who kicked truly despite receiving a hard knock. Carlton were now steadying and starting to win in the air. Cashman took a great mark and passed to Anderson, who received a free kick to score Carlton’s second goal. But two late goals to North Melbourne gave them a two goal lead at the first change.

Huxtable, Shea and Green opened the second term by combining well to get the ball to Clarke, who kicked a nice goal from an angle. With Cooper playing well, using his speed and accurate passing and Johnson also prominent, the Shinboner defence found itself under pressure for the first time. But North responded to Carlton’s goal with their fifth, coming from a kick from future Blue Jack Wrout which bounced through just ahead of a lunging Gill. North was the quicker side and their roughhouse play was creating several melees. An ugly incident occurred in Carlton’s goal, when a North player was downed and tempers flared. When they eased, a second goal to Clarke made the difference just five points at half time. Although trailing, Carlton’s long kicking attacks had been more effective in the term than North’s short passing game.

Carlton made some positional changes after the break. Johnson was moved to the centre, De Luca into the ruck and Cashman to full forward. A promising attack early through Cooper and Crisp was thwarted, but North’s former cohesive play seemed to be fraying. Still attacking, Cooper passed to Cashman who was doing well, but he missed an easy shot to only score a single. De Luca gave Cashman another chance and this time he kicked accurately, putting Carlton in front for the first time. It wasn’t for long, as North goaled after a fine mark. Under pressure, Crisp marked a pass from Cashman but he kicked terribly and missed from right in front. North, determined and tough, went forward again and goaled from a scramble in the goal mouth. There was now a lot of spite in the game, with many players receiving sly hits. De Luca was playing very well, winning in the air. At the end of the third quarter, North held an eight point lead.

Pollock, suffering from abdominal pains, was replaced by Dunn over the break. Pacy play from Arrell sent Carlton forward in an early attack, but North’s strong defence repulsed it. Carlton, continuing to push, went forward again but a poor kick from Cashman scored only a behind. Good passing from North secured their eighth goal. North seemed to be finishing well and Carlton’s forays slowed. Midway through the quarter, the Shinboners had a 12 point lead. The North Melbourne supporters were wildly cheering their side, hoping for their first win. Clarke had a chance for Carlton, but his hurried shot scored only a minor. Francis, De Luca and Arrell sent the ball forward but a long shot from Cooper was stopped by the North defenders. Then Clarke passed to Cooper for a much needed goal. Into time on, Carlton trailed by five points. It was desperate stuff and Green, with a great dash, kicked to Crisp who goaled to give a one point lead late in the game. Another single to the Blues in the dying moments and Carlton hung on grimly until the bell to score a two point victory. It hadn’t been pretty but they had won despite North’s superiority in play.

Collingwood’s win over Fitzroy in this round put paid to Carlton’s finals chances, now being six points outside the four with only one game to play.


B: 11 Jack Hale 21 Frank Gill 25 Harold Maskell
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 10 Jim Francis 20 Alby De Luca
C: 32 Bob Green 2 Dave Arrell 27 Terry Ogden
HF: 8 Keith Shea 4 Jack Cashman (acting vc) 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 16 Ted Pollock 1 Frank Anderson 31 Ansell Clarke
Ruck: 29 Horrie Bullen 15 Maurie Johnson (c) 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 5 Keith Dunn
Coach: Dan Minogue


Last Game: Dave Arrell

Round 16 | Round 18
Contributors to this page: Chicko , Jarusa , blueycarlton , PatsFitztrick , Bombasheldon , timmyd , kkk , WillowBlue , camelboy , molsey and admin .
Page last modified on Saturday 23 of March, 2019 16:15:36 AEDT by Chicko.

Online Users

52 online users