Carlton defeated Collingwood by 46 points at Victoria Park. Mickey Crisp kicked 6 goals.

Round 16, 1932

Venue: Victoria ParkDate: Saturday August 20, 1932
Result: Win by 46 pointsUmpire: McMurrayCrowd: 33,000
Goalkickers: M.Crisp 6, R.Cooper 3, H.Vallence 3, J.Green 2, K.Shea 2, H.Bullen 1.
Reports: Injuries: C.Davey (injured) replaced by T.Pollock in final quarter.
Best: Davey, Kelly, Gill, Crisp, Johnson, Cooper

Game Review

Considered as the match of the round, this game pitted the first and third placed teams, who were separated only by percentage.

Carlton made three changes to the team. Captain Colin Martyn was a late withdrawal with tonsillitis, and Leo Opray, and Jim Crowe were omitted. Into the side came Crisp, Young and Arthur.

In a brilliant display, Carlton completely outclassed Collingwood, who were constantly under pressure. Carlton won all over, mainly through great marking, kicking and teamwork.

In bright sunshine, the game opened with a breeze blowing across the ground. Collingwood made the first attack but Carlton repelled it and got the ball to Arthur who kicked a behind from a free to open the scoring. A nice pass from Johnson to Cooper saw the nippy rover goal on the run from a tight angle. Gill and Davey, each with great marks, repelled Collingwood attacks. The pace was fast and the game quite physical. Jack Green had two chances to goal, both from tight angles in either pocket, but could only manage a behind. Carlton, up in confidence and on top in defence and the air, repelled a Collingwood attack through Young and got the ball to Vallence who kicked a behind. Shortly after, Shea passed to Cooper who kicked his and Carlton’s second, from a tight angle. Collingwood kicked their first goal, before great defence from Kelly and Johnson got the ball to Clarke. He quickly passed to Vallence for his first goal. A clever snap from Green brought up Carlton’s fourth, but a late goal to Collingwood near the siren made the difference 13 at quarter time.

Consecutive strong attacks from Collingwood opened the second term, but they could only manage one behind. Finally, their next attack produced their third goal to narrow the margin. Bullen kicked a behind from a snap, but atoned minutes later when he received a pass from Clarke and scored with a great kick from deep in the pocket. Collingwood were battling manfully but Carlton was on top all over. Against the tide, Collingwood goaled but Carlton replied instantly, after Kelly, playing well, passed to Crisp who forwarded to Vallence for Carlton’s sixth goal. Crisp and Davey each missed narrowly after fine marks, before Shea kicked to the goal square and Green’s left foot snap went through for a goal. Collingwood attacked again and goaled after Gill kicked out poorly , straight to a Collingwood player for their fifth. Carlton immediately replied with three goals, all from Crisp, the last from a Collingwood defensive error. A late goal to Collingwood followed, before Crisp kicked a point after the siren to make the difference 27 point at half time. Umpire McMurray had not heard the siren sound.

Carlton continued their dominance on the resumption and were still on top across the ground. Green kicked forward from a free, but Bullen missed with a snap. Crisp kicked his fourth after receiving a doubtful free kick. Carlton was dominant in the air and Davey, in particular was stopping any forward moves from Collingwood. Cooper, roving well, tapped the ball to Shea for Carlton’s 12th goal. Carlton had now almost doubled Collingwood’s score. Collingwood now attacked strongly for three quick goals to keep their chances alive, but Cooper steadied with a goal from a nice pass from Crisp. Carlton attacked strongly again and Kelly kicked to the goal square where Vallence dropped the mark, but Crisp grabbed the ball and kicked a great goal over his head. Late in the quarter, Gilby, reliable as ever got the ball forward and after a chain of passes, Shea kicked Carlton’s fifteenth goal.

Carlton attacked early in the last with Bullen scoring the first of seven behinds for an inaccurate Carlton. However, the last quarter was an even contest and much of the pace of the game had gone. Davey and Kelly had carried injuries into the game and now both players were limping, Davey being replaced by Pollock. Green was crunched in a tackle and went off late in the game with a shoulder injury. Both sides scored two goals in the quarter, Carlton’s coming from Crisp, on the run for his sixth, and Vallence. When the siren sounded, Carlton had won a dominant game by 46 points. Had they been more accurate in the last term, the margin would have been greater.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 1st spot on the ladder with a percentage of 130.7

Four in a Row

Crisp scored the 8th, 9th, 10th, & 11th goals
Despite Collingwood winning the centre hit outs 19-13 Carlton won the clearances.
Four of Carlton's shots at goal went out of bounds and four shots failed to make the distance.

Maurie Johnson and Edmonds Coll.

Above images Sporting Globe August 24

Sporting Globe August 20


B: 18 Jack Young 21 Frank Gill (acting capt.) 20 Charlie Street
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 30 Vin Arthur 28 Eric Little
HF: 8 Keith Shea 14 Jack Green 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 29 Horrie Bullen 22 Harry Vallence 19 Ron Cooper
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey 15 Maurie Johnson 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 16 Ted Pollock
Coach: Dan Minogue


300th Goal: Harry Vallence

Round 15 | Round 17
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , timmyd , WillowBlue , molsey , kkk , camelboy and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 18 of November, 2021 22:49:22 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

2005 Rd 11 - Justin Davies.
1997 - Barassi; Williams smartest footballer.

Online Users

214 online users