Carlton lose to Fitzroy by 1 point at the Brunswick Street Oval.

Round 15, 1952

Venue: Brunswick St OvalDate: Saturday August 2, 1952
Result: Lose by 1 pointUmpire: McMurrayCrowd: 29,000
Goalkickers: J.Spencer 3, F.Davies 1, J.Mills 1.
Best: O.Grieve, L.Kerr, J.Spencer, H.Caspar, J.Howell, D.Beasy
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

The ground was in poor condition. It was very muddy with the centre area covered with sheets of water.
At the bounce Jack Howell thumped the ball towards the goals. A miskick by a Fitzroy player resulted in a free kick to Jack Mills and his kick bought up the Blues' first goal within just thirty seconds of the start.
Arthur Hodgson was providing plenty of drive and the home side could not contain him. The Blues were winning in the air and were faster than the Maroons. However Carlton were letting themselves down with poor kicking for goal. When Fitzroy goaled they hit the front. The lead was regained when Jack Spencer kicked accuately. At quarter time the Blues led by 5 points. 2.4 - 1.5
Fitzroy had the best of the second quarter. The shocking conditions resulted in a scrambling game highlighted by heavy bumps. Bill MIlroy was switched to full forward and Keith Warbuton took over Milroy's position. The heavy conditions were taking its toll with the Blues' speed being diminished. Fred Davies scored Carlton solitary goal. At half time the Blues trailled by 4 points. 3.5 - 3.9
The Blues went into attack and Keith Warburton's great snap for goal bounced inches from the goal line and then bounced back into play. Jack Spencer's skill and determination enabled him to goal and regain the lead. Carlton had regained its speed which was a worry for the oposition. However the Fitzroy backs were up to the challenge. Fine play by Laurie Kerr was providing opportunities for the Carlton forwards, but Bill Milroy and Keith Warburton both missed easy chances. This term was dominated by Carlton, but Fitzroy made the most of its limited forward entries by scoring a goal. At three quarter time the Blues were behind by 3 points. 4.10 - 4.13
Fitzroy goaled and extended the lead to 9 points and then added another behind. Jack Spencer's running goal reduced the margin to four points. Jack Spencer had a shot which hit the post and then Keith Warburton's shot just missed. With five minutes remaining Carlton were just 1 point down. Fitzroy attacked but only added a behind. Well into time on, Laurie Kerr tried to lift his team and through his superb efforts he twice drove the ball deep into Carlton's forward line. Once again the Blues' forwards let him down with Keith Warburton missing a relatively easy chance. Carlton lost the match by 1 point. 5.14 - 5.15



B: 35 Jack Conley 27 Ollie Grieve 24 Harry Caspar
HB: 16 John Brown 14 Vin English 33 Ritchie Green
C: 11 Laurie Kerr 10 Fred Stafford 8 Arthur Hodgson
HF: 4 Doug Guy 2 Bill Milroy 17 Doug Beasy
F: 28 Fred Davies 7 Keith Warburton 32 Jack Spencer
Ruck: 13 Jack Howell 1 Ken Hands (acting capt.) 9 Jack Mills
Res: 31 Brian Molony 15 Bruce Comben
Coach: Percy Bentley

Round 14 | Round 16
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , Jarusa , WillowBlue , molsey , camelboy , steve and admin .
Page last modified on Wednesday 25 of April, 2018 09:45:08 AEST by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1995 - C'Wealth Bank Cup - All Aust: Anstey & Burdon (Whitnall in best for final) 19/07/95.
Cresswell "Micky" Crisp (cigarette card).

Online Users

171 online users