Carlton defeated Port Power by 39 points - Telstra Dome

Round 11, 2007

Carlton8.35111.5 7120.512522.9141
Port Adelaide4.3275.8389.12 6614.18102
Venue: Telstra Dome
Date: Sat 9 June 2007, 7:10pm Result: Win by 39 points
Umpires: Goldspink, Hendrie, Woodcock Crowd: 29,678
Goalkickers: Waite 4; Fisher, Houlihan 3; Bannister, Fevola, ÓhAilpin, Whitnall 2; Carrazzo, Murphy, Simpson, Walker
Reports: - Injuries: -

Game Review

It was only a few games ago that Port sat proudly on top of the ladder. But since that point they had lost three on the trot, and following on from Carlton's solid win against the Bulldogs in Round 10 there was a lot to like about the Blues chances in the build up to this game.

Port Adelaide started the game dominantly, but their impressive opening minutes only saw them score one goal. Carlton was able to slowly work their way into the game and didn't they do it well - an eight goal opening term, and their second best ever opening quarter against the Power. Jarrad Waite continued his improvement and opened with three majors. Ryan Houlihan got on the board early with two of Carlton's first three goals. Crowd favourite, Setanta Ó hAilpín, showed he has all the tricks with a skilfully snapped goal to continue Carlton's surge. For the Power, Chad Cornes was missing with no possessions thanks to a brilliantly tight Jordan Bannister and Bret Thornton started very well on a woefully out of form Warren Tredrea. Port Adelaide's opening term was as horrible Carlton's was impressive. Yet, they did enough to maintain touch and with some better finishing on goal they might have been right on the Blues heels.

A starker contrast in play in the opening two quarters you could not find. Typifying much of Carlton's style this year the first quarter was free flowing and high scoring. However, it took almost 10 minutes for a goal to be scored in the second quarter in what proved to be a dour struggle. It was pretty ugly footy in parts, but was really the only time that Port was able to take the game up to Carlton. The Blues were able to counteract Port in defence with great effect, but they broke down badly delivering the ball inside 50 rarely putting the ball to advantage. The highligh of this quarter was Brendan Fevola marking just outside 50 and composing himself for a set shot on goal kick from inside the centre square. His kick just cleared the line and contributed to Carlton going into the main break with hard fought 33 point lead.

As noted the second quarter was a bit of a struggle and you got the sense that if Port could get a couple of early goals to start the second half that they would be right back in it. Alas, for them, Carlton played some of their best football for the year and piled on nine straight goals to break their previous record of 8.2.50 for the highest score in the 3rd quarter at the Telstra Dome. It's been a long time coming to see a "premiership quarter" like this one, but the Carlton faithful in the stands were treated to some very bright signs and shown that the medium-long term future of Carlton has some frightful potential. Carlton was on top all over the ground and Port continued their night from hell. Where the Blues could do no wrong--as shown by Waite's almost accidental toe-poked goal - Port Adelaide could do no right. At the three quarter siren the fat lady was well an truly walking to centre stage.

Enjoying a 59-point lead, Carlton was able to start the last quarter with Bentick, Blackwell and Koutoufides on the bench--three of the club's best in traffic ball winners. The final term followed the pattern set in the second quarter and was not as pretty to watch as the first and third quarters. Port Power managed to score some junk time goals and really did have the better of the term. In many respects this was dissapointing for Blues fans as Carlton's lead was as high as 66-points in the third quarter and the Blues really needed, and deserved, a big win to give their percentage and fans a genuine boost. Such was Carlton's overall dominance for the first three quarters one may be excused for cutting this young team some slack for not running over the top of their opponents.

This was Carlton's first back to back wins since the last two rounds of season 2004 and Denis Pagan was very proud of his troops in the post match interviews applaudng their teamwork and commitment.

Bryce Gibbs kept the dangerous Brett Ebert quiet and enjoyed another discplined team contribution continuing his quietly impressive debut season. Jordan Bannister celebrated his 50th AFL game by nullifying Chad Cornes. Andrew Carrazzo had 19 possession to half time and closed out the game with 28 touches. Ryan Houlihan and Andrew Walker, with 26 stats, and Heath Scotland with 23, were also impressive with both highlighting the Blues improved foot skills over the last couple of weeks. Jordan Russell, recalled after one game in the Bullants, also did some pleasing things proving that he is here to stay with 16 stats off the wing. Wiggins would have a day out with 10 marks and 23 stats, just 2 short of his career high also against Port, and finally, for the second week in a row, Fisher and Waite combined for a minimum of 3 goals each, with 7 between them for the game.

As an interesting side note, leading up to the game, the Blues made the sports news pages for a very different reason, with 2 of the boys getting a little heated during a midweek training session. The pleasing thing for Carlton was seeing Ó hAilpín and Ackland walking off the ground after the game arm in arm enjoying a well deserved victory.


B:4 Bryce Gibbs 8 Lance Whitnall 32 Bret Thornton
HB: 29 Heath Scotland 9 Jason Saddington 3 Marc Murphy
C: 33 Ryan Houlihan 7 Adam Bentick 6 Kade Simpson
HF:14 Brad Fisher 30 Jarrad Waite 31 Jordan Bannister
F: 12 Matthew Lappin 25 Brendan Fevola 17 Setanta Ó hAilpín
Ruck: 11 Cain Ackland 1 Andrew Walker 44 Andrew Carrazzo
Interchange: 2 Jordan Russell 13 Luke Blackwell 34 Simon Wiggins
43 Anthony Koutoufides
Coach: Denis Pagan
Emg: 18 Paul Bower 41 Ross Young 38 Ryan Jackson
In: Jordan Russell
Out: Joe Anderson (hamstring)


50 Games (AFL): Jordan Bannister
Interesting Fact: This was the first time Carlton had won successive games since Round 22, 2004.
Score Records: Despite the above fact that this was Carlton's second successive win, it would also be our last for some time, with Carlton about to endure a 14 match losing streak.

Interesting Fact

This was the largest crowd between these two clubs played in Melbourne, previous record was 22,507 in Round 4, 2003.

Brownlow Votes

3. Andrew Carrazzo, Carlton
2. Kade Simpson, Carlton
1. Andrew Walker, Carlton

Best and Fairest Votes

Andrew Walker 24, Andrew Carrazzo 18, Ryan Houlihan 15, Jarrad Waite 11, Simon Wiggins 3, Jordan Bannister 2, Brad Fisher & Bryce Gibbs 1


Round 10 | Round 12
Contributors to this page: Bombasheldon , Jarusa , molsey , true_blue24 , WillowBlue and camelboy .
Page last modified on Monday 19 of April, 2021 22:03:04 AEST by Bombasheldon.

Google Search

Random Image

2002 - David Rhys-Jones book.
1980 Bruce Doull cartoon.

Online Users

147 online users