Carlton defeated Essendon by 27 points at Princes Park.

Round 10, 1913

Carlton 4.6 30 11.9 75 14.11 95 15.15 105
Essendon 2.2 14 3.5 23 7.11 53 11.12 78
Venue: Princes Park Date: Saturday June 21, 1913
Result: Win by 27 points Umpire: Elder Crowd:
Goalkickers: R.Moran 5, V.Gardiner 3, M.Gotz 3, A.Baud 2, A.Barningham 1, V.Valentine 1.
Best: G.Green, H.Haughton, G.Challis, A.Baud, M.Gotz, R.Moran, W.Gibbins, G.Bruce, V.Gardiner, C.Cameron
Reports: A.Williamson reported by Umpire Elder for striking Belcher (Ess). Belcher reported by the Steward Wheeler for striking A.Williamson. Williamson suspended for 3 matches, Belcher 4 matches. Injuries: A. Barningham (facial bruising), T.Clancy (sprained ankle)

Game Review

In the absence of Captain Jack Wells and the Vice Captain Jim Marchbank, George Bruce was appointed to lead the team. George, on this day held the unique distinction of being the Carlton Football Club's captain as well as the club's secretary. (He would be captain the team next week as well). This match was a game of two distinct halves.

Essendon got off to good start and kicked the first goal. Then the Blues answered with a couple of behinds before Vin Gardiner goaled. T.Clancy, C.Cameron and G.Green were prominent and Vin Gardiner from a dubious free kick scored the Blues' second. Both sides then scored a few minors. Gardiner playing on the wing drove the ball to Martin Gotz who goaled. Good play from Viv Valentine, George Challis, Chris Cameron, and George Bruce resulted in another goal to Gardiner. The Blues ended the quarter with a 16 point lead.

The second quarter is not described in detail in both The Age and The Argus. Carlton completely dominated this term almost doing as they pleased. The Blues scored 7.3 to 1.3 to hold a lead of 52 points at the main break. After half time a revitalised Essendon entered the field. The Blues were still playing good football with Gordon Green and George Challis still on top, but the Blues were now being challenged. The home side still held a match winning 42 point lead at three quarter time, however, Essendon had missed a few easy chances which should have been goals.

The final quarter was all Essendon who were full of running, with accurate kicking and sound judgment they outscored Carlton 4.1 to 1.4. This was in contrast with their efforts before half time when they were made to look like a junior team. The Blues were in an unbeatable position at the last break and still ran out 27 point victors, but, they had taken their foot off the pedal, and this had saved Essendon from complete humiliation.

After this round, Carlton were 4th on the ladder, with a percentage of 113.1.


Carlton president Dave Bell was worried as some Carlton players had not turned up. He spied Bill Johnson who had played with Essendon and with Carlton in 1912.
Johnson was on duty wearing his police uniform. Bell asked him if he was willing to strip and play.
Bill said I will, if you speak to my sergeant for his permission. Bell said that should not be a problem. Shortly after, word got through to Bell that all players had arrived at the ground.


B: 28 Bill Rogers 15 Ernie Jamieson 23 Alex Barningham
HB: 4 Andy McDonald 25 Alf Baud 26 Dave Earsman
C: 12 George Challis 17 Gordon Green 8 Tom Clancy
HF: 7 Richard Moran 24 Martin Gotz 27 Chris Cameron
F: 19 Wally Gibbins 13 Vin Gardiner 3 George Bruce (acting capt.)
Ruck: 5 Harry Haughton 22 Alf Williamson 6 Viv Valentine
Coach: Jack Wells


Last game: Dave Earsman

Round 9 | Round 11
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , PatsFitztrick , Bombasheldon , molsey , camelboy , WillowBlue , true_blue24 and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 20 of May, 2021 21:08:58 AEST by blueycarlton.

Online Users

57 online users