Carlton defeated Melbourne by 12 points at the MCG.

Round 8, 1935

Venue: M.C.G.Date: Saturday June 15, 1935
Result: Win by 12 pointsUmpire: ScottCrowd: 19,546
Goalkickers: A.Clarke 2.2, J.Hale 2.2, M.Crisp 1.1, C.Davey 1.1, A.De Luca 1.2, K.Dunn 1.0, H.Vallence 1.2. rushed 0.2
Best: J. Francis, G. Mackie, J. Hale, K. Dunn, F. Gill, A. De Luca
Reports: Injuries: E.Huxtable (bruised shoulder) replaced by J.Cashman in the last quarter.

Game Review

In a low standard game in which both defences were on top, Carlton prevailed over Melbourne by two straight goals. The Blues’ dominant first quarter, keeping the Redlegs to one point, was the telling factor and Carlton held on comfortably from then on.

One change was made in the side announced on Thursday night. Don McIntyre was omitted and Jack Cashman was included as 19th man. On the Saturday, Ron Cooper was a late withdrawal, suffering from an ulcerated mouth. Ansell Clarke was brought into the side. Due to their great form, Eric Huxtable and Keith Shea were named in the Victorian team to play Western Australia on Saturday week.

Carlton had first use of a strong wind blowing diagonally across the ground towards the Richmond end. From the start, play seesawed between defensive lines for a time. Mackie and Francis stopped several attacks before Mackie, with a prodigious kick, forwarded to Dunn who passed to Crisp for the opening goal. Following up, Gilby relieved and passed to Clarke but he missed an easy shot at goal. A similar shot by Melbourne also went wide. Both defences were on top, but the forward lines were lacking confidence and method. A long kick by Shea found De Luca, who kicked blindly off the ground to score Carlton’s second goal. The third goal came after Hale received a free kick on a tight angle a long way from goal. His shot was perfect. The Blues were now attacking continuously and playing well, particularly in ground play and in the air. When Vallence goaled with a magnificent running long kick from the wing, he was applauded around the ground. Melbourne’s defence was under pressure but holding up fairly well; their forwards letting the side down. At quarter time, Carlton had established a 27 point lead and looked dangerous.

From the bounce, Melbourne went forward but the high snap went behind. Another snap unluckily grazed the post. Melbourne was wasting chances, taking hasty shots at goal instead of looking for better placed team mates. The wind and Carlton’s strong defence pressure was not helping matters. Mackie repelled an attack and passed to De Luca. He kicked to Hale who kicked the fifth goal. Good work from Shea, Crisp and De Luca was undone by a fine defensive mark over Vallence in the goal square. The Redlegs were playing better than in the first quarter, but lacked any system going forward. Much of this was due to Francis and Mackie who were almost impassable in defence. Finally, Melbourne scored their first goal after 40 minutes of play, but Carlton replied immediately after Clarke passed to Davey with a lovely stab kick. Davey’s high kick went through for the Blues’ sixth goal. Too much strength and rough play had come into the game, spoiling the spectacle. Just prior to the half time bell, Melbourne received a free kick and registered their second goal to trail by 20 points at the long break. Francis, Mackie, De Luca and Hale were great contributors in the first half.

At half time, Melbourne shuffled their side in an attempt to get into the game. Their first forward sortie was stopped by Gill and Mackie, combining well. Dunn received a free kick and his kick was picked up by Denning. He passed to Clarke who goaled with a lovely torpedo punt. Moments later, Clarke goaled again with a running shot which just beat the Melbourne defenders through. Some rough play was being served by both sides, with some nasty incidents occurring; Umpire Scott speaking to several players from each side in an endeavour to cool things down. Shea spent some time in the hands of a trainer as a result of one incident. Two attacks from Hale were turned by Melbourne. When they went forward, the Redlegs were slow to dispose of the ball, allowing Carlton to man up and limit Melbourne’s opportunities. By contrast, Carlton was quick to play on. Carlton had a handy lead when a fierce melee started in front of the Melbourne goal. They received a free kick as the bell sounded and goaled. Carlton led by five straight goals at three quarter time.

Again, Melbourne was first to attack but Gill cleared for Carlton. Melbourne had lifted and persisted with their attacks. A dashing run, a clever mark and a long punt gave them their fourth goal. Carlton were now showing signs of overconfidence, with some showy play coming undone. Francis, excellent all day, stopped an attack but the Redlegs goaled moments later with a long kick from a tight angle. Melbourne were looking dangerous but when De Luca intercepted a poor pass, he passed to Davey, who lined up a place kick. The ball was beautifully marked a yard out by Dunn who kicked Carlton’s ninth goal to give a comfortable 23 point lead. Huxtable, with an injured shoulder, was replaced by Cashman. Gill saved another Melbourne rush at goal but couldn’t stop their sixth goal. A chain of passes shortly after resulted in another. Play was still very fierce. The sky had become quite dark, making it difficult to distinguish between the teams. Melbourne were finishing strongly, but were well held by the Blues who finished with two goal win.

After the match Carlton's president Dave Crone presented Eric Huxtable and Keith Shea with cheques on the eve of their departure with the Victorian team to Perth. A presentation was also made to Carlton delegate K. G. Luke who would accompany the state team.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 3rd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 122.7.


B: 6 Fred Gilby 21 Frank Gill 1 Frank Anderson
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 10 Jim Francis
C: 27 Clete Turner 8 Keith Shea 32 Bob Green
HF: 11 Jack Hale 35 George Dougherty 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp (vc)
F: 20 Alby De Luca 22 Harry Vallence 34 Clen Denning
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (c) 5 Keith Dunn 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 4 Jack Cashman
Coach: Frank Maher

Last Game

Jack Cashman

Round 7 | Round 9
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , timmyd , WillowBlue , molsey , camelboy , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Wednesday 25 of September, 2019 13:27:20 AEST by blueycarlton.

Online Users

63 online users