Carlton defeated North Melboune by 21 points at Arden Street. Jack Hale had a busy game, kicking 5 goals and being reported for "violently pulling".

Round 15, 1937

Nth Melbourne4.5295.5359.106410.1171
Venue: Arden StDate: Saturday July 31, 1937
Result: Win by 21 pointsUmpire: F.McDermott. Crowd: 11,000
Goalkickers: J.Hale 5, H.Vallence 3, A.Clarke 3, R.McLean 1, K.Shea 1, J.Wrout 1.
Reports: Jack Hale (Violently Pulling Jack Smith) - Not Guilty. Injuries: F.Gilby replaced K.Shea in last quarter

Game Review

Jack Hale's report for "violently pulling" the Shinboner's Smith must be the 30's equivalent of "engaging in a melee". Interestingly, Smith was exonerated of striking Hale despite being reported by 3 umpires.

"Carlton were weakened by the last minute absence of three regular players. Crisp's injured thigh muscle kept him off the field and F.Anderson was bought up to centre pivot to guard Cordner. Shields filled Anderson's position at centre half-forward, and Collard replaced Bullen in the ruck. Cooper has a poisoned heel, and Clarke (captain) came back into the team as first rover." (Herald July 31 p13)

North kicked with the breeze and goaled within minutes of the start. The Blues replied, the first goal by Jack Hale and then the second by the skipper Ansell Clarke. Carlton's speed was worrying the Shinboners. Keith Shea dominating his flank, kicked the Blues' third goal. North then kicked two quick goals to regain the lead, and then another goal put them further ahead. North's ruck duo was winning and the wind was worth a goal or two. At quarter time the Blues trailed by 9 points. 3.2 - 4.5
North Melbourne took it right up to the Blues and the centre duel between Jim Francis and North's Stubbs was a highlight. Not until Harry Vallence twice goaled, and then Ansell Clarke's 70 yard kick bounced through did the Blues look a bit more comfortable. Jack Hale added two goals. Before half time the play became rough and twice the umpire stopped play and warned several players. A spectator at the fence threatened a Carlton player and the police took the offender away. Jack Wrout kicked a goal during this term.
At half time Carlton led by 22 points. 9.3 - 5.5
North now with the wind wasted early opportunities. However they managed another 4 goals, while Carlton's Harry Vallence kicked one and the other by Jack Hale. Carlton were becoming rattled and often were penalised by the umpire for holding the ball and combating rough play.
At three quarter time the Blues led by 6 points. 11.4 - 9.10
From the outset Carlton were into attack, but North's defences held them out. Most of the play so far, was confined deep in the Carlton forward line. Then Rod McLean marked the ball quite a distance out and put it through. This was soon followed by another from Jack Hale courtesy of a free kick. The Shinboners pressed hard but good play by Frank Gill, Don McIntyre and Jim Francis held them out until North broke through for a goal. This reduced the margin to fifteen points, but Ansell Clarke goaled to restore the margin back to 21 points.
Carlton won 14.8 - 10.11

At the end of this round Carlton were in 6th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 109.7.


B: 2 Don McIntyre 21 Frank Gill 26 Jim Park
HB: 33 Bob Chitty 10 Jim Francis (vc) 9 Eric Huxtable
C: 7 Jack Carney 1 Frank Anderson 32 Bob Green
HF: 8 Keith Shea 25 Arch Shields 22 Harry Vallence
F: 20 Pat Farrelly 28 Jack Wrout 11 Jack Hale
Ruck: 14 Rod McLean 13 George Collard 31 Ansell Clarke (c)
19th Man: 6 Fred Gilby
Coach: Percy Rowe


50 Games: Frank Anderson

Round 14 | Round 16
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , timmyd , kkk , WillowBlue , molsey , camelboy , nikki and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 04 of March, 2021 17:58:20 AEDT by Jarusa.

Google Search

Random Image

1999 Prelim. - Carlton answers the SOS.
1916 HMAT Warilda A. Morehouse/Moorhouse (Carlton 1891)

Online Users

188 online users