Carlton lost to Geelong by 25 points at Princes Park.

Round 13, 1937

Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday July 17, 1937
Result: Lose by 25 pointsUmpire: Crowd: 15,000
Goalkickers: F.Anderson 2, A.Shields 2, H.Bullen 1, P.Farrelly 1, J.Hale 1, M.Price 1, J.Wrout 1.
Reports: Injuries:

Game Review

A second straight loss (admittedly against the high-flying Cats), meant hopes of Premiership glory briefly ignited after 3 straight wins in Rounds 9-11 were quickly extinguished.

The first quarter developed into a scrambling type of game with not much in the way of skills on display, with the visitors having the better of the play. A couple of rushed behinds were scored by Geelong. Jim Park was conspicious in defence for Blues. The Cats scored the first goal by a kick off the ground. Good play by Jack Wrout and Jack Hale drove the ball into the Blues' forward line but the move was repulsed by the Geelong defenders. Again, Carlton went forward, but through indecision and fumbling they wasted their opportunities. However, in one of these sorties Arch Shields rose above the pack and marked, he kicked truly for the Blues' first. Geelong then in quick succession kicked three goals to increase their lead to 20 points. Frank Anderson reduced the lead by 6 points with a long kick from half forward. Deep into time on the Cats snapped another goal and led by 19 points at the break. 2.1 - 5.2
Early in the second term the Blues held out Geelong who added a couple of of points. The visitors were getting on top in the ruck and across the centre and they added a goal. Carlton could not get the ball over the centre for the first ten minutes of this quarter. Then the Blues went deep into their forward line but a Geelong player marked the ball. However his kick was marked by Frank Anderson and he goaled. Frank soon followed this up, but with a behind. Albert 'Mick' Price and Ron Cooper combined to bring the ball forward again to Frank Anderson but this time his wayward kick went out of bounds. Jack Hale was one of the Blues best players. He started an attack which Ron Cooper passed the ball to Albert 'Mick' Price who added another Carlton goal. This lifted the Blues and Arch Shields added the Blues' fifth goal.
Again late in the quarter Geelong added their eighth major. At half time Carlton trailed by 18 points. 5.5 - 8.5
The Cats went deep into attack, but Frank Gill took a timely mark right on the goal line. Jack Hale was still playing well and continually drove the ball deep in the attack. Carlton's first goal for the term was from a Jack Hale snap. Blues continued to attack but each time the Geelong defenders took the ball away. One of these moves took the ball deep into Geelong's forward line where they goaled. Carlton had five attempts to score but only one was successful. Then just before the bell Arch Shields marked but his kick fell short. Geelong led by 16 points. 6.9 - 9.7
The crowd were bought to their feet when Rod McLean and Ron Cooper swooped forward and Jack Wrout marked strongly to kick the Blues' seventh. However, the Cats soon replied with a behind and a goal. Three times the Blues attacked but three behinds were the result, one a poster. Then Geelong had their turn and added a goal and two behinds and they led by 21 points half way through the term. Play was halted when a spectator jumped the fence and had a few words to the umpire. The police escorted the offender away. The Blues were tiring and Geelong added another goal. Good play by Bob Chitty and Bob Green enabled Horrie Bullen to goal. Frank Gill was moved to the forward line and Jim Park took over the full back duties. Pat Farrelly pulled down a good mark and from a difficult angle added the Blues ninth. Geelong then added a late goal.
The Blues lost by 25 points. 9.13 - 13.14

At the end of this round Carlton were in 6th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 107.7.


B: 2 Don McIntyre 21 Frank Gill 26 Jim Park
HB: 33 Bob Chitty 10 Jim Francis (acting capt.) 6 Fred Gilby
C: 4 Norm Cashin 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp 32 Bob Green
HF: 11 Jack Hale 28 Jack Wrout 25 Arch Shields
F: 20 Pat Farrelly 1 Frank Anderson 30 Mick Price
Ruck: 15 Horrie Bullen 14 Rod McLean 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 9 Eric Huxtable
Coach: Percy Rowe

In - Out

In: Frank Anderson, Ron Cooper
Out: Keith Dunn, Keith Shea

Round 12 | Round 14
Contributors to this page: Jarusa , blueycarlton , Bombasheldon , timmyd , WillowBlue , kkk , camelboy , nikki , molsey and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 04 of March, 2021 17:57:17 AEDT by Jarusa.

Google Search

Random Image

Matthew Watson marks - round 23, 2015.jpg

Online Users

188 online users