Carlton defeated Hawthorn by 24 points at Princes Park.

Round 13, 1933

Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday July 22, 1933
Result: Win by 24 pointsUmpire: GlassonCrowd: 12,000
Goalkickers: K.Shea 4, M.Crisp 3, H.Vallence 2, H.Bullen 1, A.Clarke 1, T.Downs 1, A.Egan 1.
Best: R. Cooper, H. Bullen, E. Huxtable, J. Kelly, K.Shea, G. Mackie
Reports: Injuries: C.Street replaced A.Egan (injured) at three quarter time

Game Review

Tommy Downs returned to the Carlton team after a 10 week "holiday."

At half-time in this match at Princes Park, Carlton was in trouble against lowly Hawthorn – three goals down and being beaten in all key positions. Coach Dan Minogue read the riot act in the rooms, and the Blues snapped back into gear, kicking seven goals to one in the third term to wrest back the initiative.

Centreman Ron Cooper sparked the revival, aided by defenders Jim Crowe and Eric Huxtable. After being well held by his opponent Bert Hyde, ‘Soapy’ Vallence broke free to again provide a reliable forward target and the Blues pulled away to a clear victory by 24 points.

Three changes were made to the side beaten by South Melbourne last round. Bob Green was unavailable through suspension and Leffanue and Hughson were omitted. Carlton welcomed the return of Tommy Downs from suspension, and Pollock and Opray were included.

Attack followed by counter-attack marked the opening ten minutes of the game, before Hawthorn strong in the air, scored the first two goals. Hawthorn’s defence was on top and Carlton struggled to go forward early. Carlton finally opened their account with a nice mark and goal from Crisp. Hawthorn were the superior team at this point and well on top all over. Carlton’s second goal came from Shea, who weaved around several defenders and snapped truly, but Hawthorn immediately responded with a goal to lead by nine points at quarter time.

Hawthorn continued their dominance in the second term. The Carlton defence was under great pressure and it wasn’t long before the lead was extended with another Hawthorn goal. Carlton attacked through Vallence who passed to Jack Green for a behind before Vallence goaled from a fine mark. Kelly was doing well on his wing, but most Carlton forward forays were repulsed by fine defence from Hawthorn. Another two goals to the Mayblooms increased their lead. They were beating Carlton with their more direct ground play and their marking was giving dominance in the air. Carlton trailed by 18 points at half time; it had been Hawthorn’s half and they had made Carlton look slow and listless.

A goal to Vallence from a good mark soon after the resumption heralded the comeback Carlton fans had been waiting for. Then, Kelly, supreme on his wing, passed to Crisp who dodged two defenders for a snap goal. Carlton had now settled, with a better system and had got on top in the aerial work. Crisp, Kelly, Shea and Clarke were all conspicuous and providing many forward moves. Opray, Cooper and Shea were involved in Egan kicking Carlton’s sixth goal, and another to Clarke, weaving through the forward line, provided the seventh and the lead. The next came from Shea, with the goal of the day; a 50 yard drop kick after a dash down the centre. Hawthorn finally broke their drought with a goal, but Shea replied immediately with another goal. A late snap from Downs just near bell time gave the Blues a 21 point lead at the final change. It had been a huge quarter and Hawthorn looked powerless to recover.

Egan, with a gashed chin, was replaced by Street during the break. A goal to Shea when play resumed gave a comfortable lead, but Hawthorn weren’t giving up and responded with their eighth goal. Carlton’s defence was well on top, however, and were stopping many attacks. With some brilliant play, Kelly passed to Crisp to extend the lead. An answering goal gave Hawthorn some hope, but Bullen kicked the thirteenth Blue goal to extend the lead to 30 points late in the game. A late Hawthorn goal made the winning margin 24 points when the bell sounded. After a lethargic start, Carlton’s dominant third quarter had been enough to beat a determined Hawthorn side.

Nearby, Fitzroy beat Collingwood at Victoria Park to clamber back into the top four, and South Melbourne inflicted Footscray’s first defeat for the year at the Western Oval. Richmond remained on top of the table, ahead of Geelong, Carlton and Ftzroy. South Melbourne were now fifth, trailing the Maroons by just 2 points, but with a much better percentage.

At the end of this round Carlton were in 3rd spot on the ladder with a percentage of 113.1


B: 23 Jim Crowe 26 Jim Park 29 Horrie Bullen
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 24 Gordon Mackie 6 Fred Gilby
C: 7 Joe Kelly 19 Ron Cooper 5 Leo Opray
HF: 8 Keith Shea 16 Ted Pollock 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp
F: 27 Alf Egan 22 Harry Vallence 3 Tommy Downs (vc)
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (acting capt.) 14 Jack Green 31 Ansell Clarke
19th Man: 20 Charlie Street
Coach: Dan Minogue

Quarter Clock

This day at the Western Oval Footscray unveiled it's new electric quarter clock.
Possibly the first of it's kind in the VFL.
See Image Gallery Season 1933 for a photo.

Round 12 | Round 14
Contributors to this page: blueycarlton , Chicko , Jarusa , Bombasheldon , PatsFitztrick , WillowBlue , timmyd , molsey , camelboy , Mrs.O and admin .
Page last modified on Thursday 25 of November, 2021 14:25:28 AEDT by blueycarlton.

Google Search

Random Image

1982 Rd 20 – Bartlett swamped by Buckley, McConville & Southby.
1908 James Gullan (Carlton 1893) memorial

Online Users

129 online users