Ridiculous! The Blues kick a goal after the siren - by Newnes - to snatch a win after being behind for 97% of the game

Round 12, 2020

Carlton 0.1 1 2.3 15 4.8 32 5.10 40
Fremantle 3.2 20 4.3 27 5.4 34 5.6 36
Venue: Optus Stadium, WA.
Date: Saturday 15th August, 2020 6.10 pm AWST (8.10 AEST).
Result: Won by 4 points.
Crowd: 24,114
Goalkickers: L. Casboult, M. Cottrell, S. Walsh, H. McKay, J. Newnes 1.
Reports: Zac Fisher was charged with Rough Conduct (Dangerous Tackle) against Adam Cerra, Fremantle, during the fourth quarter. Matthew Cottrell was charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against James Aish, Fremantle, during the second quarter.
Umpires: David Harris, Andrew Heffernan, Jacob Mollison.
Injuries: M. Kennedy (quad).
Ladder: 12th

Game Review

Newnes nails miraculous set shot to sink Freo after the siren
Carlton have secured a miraculous after-the-siren win off the boot of Jack Newnes at Optus Stadium on Saturday night. After a slow start in the wet, the Blues clawed back the Dockers lead finishing in a relentless fourth quarter attack to keep their season alive with a four-point win. Here's how the win out west unfolded. Having been the recipient a contentious down-field free kick as the buzzer sounded on Saturday night, the Carlton recruit made himself an instant hero with a remarkable goal after the siren to secure a stunning four-point victory over Fremantle. Pressed deep against the boundary fence, Newnes' 45m set shot drew back to perfection, sparking wild scenes of celebration as the Blues plucked victory from the jaws of defeat to win 5.10 (40) to 5.6 (36). It was the first time Carlton had led since the opening seconds of a slog in wet Western Australian conditions at Optus Stadium, helping David Teague's side keeps its otherwise fading finals hopes alive. Ed Curnow (33 disposals, nine clearances) and Sam Walsh (25 disposals, one goal) had dragged the Blues back into the contest after a slow start saw them go 36 minutes without a goal to begin the match.

Q1 breakdown: The skies opened just before the first siren, meaning some wet weather footy was on hand. Fremantle was able to adapt to the wet conditions early on, kicking away to a 19-point lead in the first term. Ed Curnow was the best of the Blues, collecting seven first-quarter disposals.

Q2 breakdown: Despite being on the attack early in the second quarter, the Blues were unable to capitalise on their opportunities. Ed Curnow continued to make his presence felt around the contest, with his quick disposal helping to give the Blues repeated entries into their forward 50. Some relief finally came as Levi Casboult used his strength to his advantage, tossing his opponent aside and finishing with a quick snap on goal. Young Blue Tom De Koning, shouldering the majority of the ruck work for the night, found his feet as the term progressed registering 12 hitouts to the main break. The highlight of the term, however, came as Matthew Cottrell kicked his first goal in the Navy Blue, with only the celebration rivalling the goal itself.

Q3 breakdown: There was plenty of energy at the beginning of the secondhalf, with both sides trading early goals in a chaotic start. Both teams missed a number of opportunities in front of goals, meaning that the margin remained the same for the majority of the term. A beautiful snap from Harry McKay registered his first goal of the day and put the Blues within a goal. Carlton played with a confidence that had previously escaped them, creating scoring opportunities from some slick fast-moving plays. Some fancy footwork from Zac Fisher excited the WA Blues in attendance, while the Blues’ backline - led by Sam Docherty - stood tall whenever under attack.

Q4 breakdown: There was plenty at stake at the beginning of the fourth term, with the four points there for the taking for either side at Optus Stadium. It was a hot football early in the term, both sides unwilling to give an inch with an arm-wrestle through the centre resulting in wayward kicking. But the Blues charged forward, setting up opportunities until the final minutes. A missed opportunity from Jones in front of goal seemed to spell the end for Carlton, but a free kick to Newnes on the siren left one final chance. Politely asking the boundary photographer to move over a little proved worth it when Newnes sealed the deal with a miraculous goal from beyond the boundary line.

Moment of the match: At one minute left in the final term, the moment of the match was all but sewn up with a first goal from Matt Cottrell. The only thing that could out-do a first goal would be a goal on the siren to win the match. Enter: Jack Newnes. With opportunities aplenty in the final minutes, it would take the steady kick of Newnes to seal the deal in the Blues' final game out west: Carlton's first after-the-siren win since Stephen Kernahan's heroics in 1987.

How it played out.
How it all played out
There were three points of contention to the thrilling finale. First, Matt Taberner was pinged for deliberate after ushering the ball to the boundary line with just 16 seconds remaining. Sam Docherty played on quickly, with Andrew Brayshaw's momentum in attempting to smother his kick forcing the two to collide. With nine seconds remaining, Docherty's kick went out of bounds on the full. However, the umpire paid a down-field free kick for the late hit due to the contact that had been made after the ball had been disposed of. Jack Newnes, who was in the vicinity of where the ball landed alongside Michael Gibbons and Eddie Betts, was ultimately and perhaps controversially deemed closest. After forcing a cameraman perched against the boundary fence to move out of his way, the former St Kilda wingman eventually drilled a remarkable set-shot after the final siren to secure victory for Carlton.

Blues nearly butcher their comeback.
Jack Newnes didn't just get one teammate out of jail, he got two. Harry McKay had the chance to be the hero with 90 seconds remaining. However, with Carlton trailing by three points and camped deep inside the boundary, he miscued his snap for goal and saw the ball sail harmlessly across the face of the target. Or so Fremantle thought. Liam Jones, rushing forward from the backline, marked in an identical position in the other pocket with 60 seconds left. After unsuccessfully trying to dish off to Eddie Betts, Jones' snap was dragged wide for a behind. It wouldn't matter, though. A few short seconds later and Newnes showed his teammates how it was done, coolly slotting the kick of his life after the siren.

Three things from the game:
1. Tom De Koning was up to the challenge of taking on the solo ruck duties. In just his second game for 2020, and in the absence of Marc Pittonet, De Koning held his own in the ruck finishing with 19 hitouts and two clearances. His presence around the ground was also noticeable, consistently using his body well in the contest.
2. The Blues' forward line is in a much better place with Levi Casboult and Harry McKay working together. The big men both finished the day with a goal each, but what they provided in intensity inside 50 proved the difference.
3. Ed Curnow continues to be a workhorse for the Blues. The veteran midfielder did the hard yards throughout the day registering a game -igh 33 disposals and 10 clearances, setting up what was to be an incredible finish to the night.

Best: E. Curnow, P. Cripps, S. Walsh, S. Docherty, M. Murphy, W. Setterfield.

For video of the after the siren goal.... https://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/796181/r12-newnes-after-the-siren?videoId=796181&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1597533527001


B: 5 Sam Petrevski-Seton 23 Jacob Weitering 20 Lachie Plowman
HB: 15 Sam Docherty (c) 14 Liam Jones 6 Kade Simpson
C: 32 Jack Newnes 9 Patrick Cripps (c) 18 Sam Walsh
HF: 3 Marc Murphy 41 Levi Casboult 40 Michael Gibbons
F: 19 Eddie Betts 10 Harry McKay 25 Zac Fisher
Ruck: 12 Tom De Koning 43 Will Setterfield 35 Ed Curnow
Interchange: 7 Matthew Kennedy 31 Tom Williamson 36 Josh Honey
46 Matt Cottrell
Coach: David Teague
Emg: 2 Paddy Dow, 29 Cam Polson, 34 Sam Philp, 47 Callum Moore

In: Harry McKay, Josh Honey
Out: Jack Martin (calf), Marc Pittonet (finger)


Debut: Josh Honey
First Goal: Matt Cottrell
Interesting Fact: This was our 4th win in our VFL / AFL history secured after the siren. Oddly enough we'd already lost a game this way earlier this year
Interesting Fact:Up to date 17 players have debut for Carlton against Fremantle Josh Honey became the first to debut in a winning side. (8 of these players were making their Carlton Debut (i.e. they had made their League debut with other League Clubs)
Interesting Fact: Marc Murphy will play his 279th game passing Anthony Koutoufides into 7th place on games played at Carlton
Interesting Fact: It was the same result as last year with a 4 point victory, when Marc Murphy kicking the winning goal in the last minute of that game
Interesting Fact - guernseys: Carlton wore their white clash guernsey. Despite the rain, all of the Blues opted to wear sleeveless guernsies.
Memory Banks: With four minutes remaining in the second term, Ed Curnow elected to kick the wet ball off the ground, unfortunately the full force of the ball struck fellow Blue Kade Simpson flush in the face knocking him off his feet. Moments later the durable 336 game veteran was up and running taking a strong mark.


10 - Ed Curnow (CARL)
7 - Luke Ryan (FRE)
5 - Matt Taberner (FRE)
3 - Nat Fyfe (FRE)
3 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
2 - Sam Walsh (CARL)

Brownlow Votes

3. Patrick Cripps
2. Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
1. Jack Newnes

Best and Fairest Votes

Round 11 | Round 13
Contributors to this page: WillowBlue , Bombasheldon , blueycarlton and molsey .
Page last modified on Wednesday 02 of December, 2020 10:36:54 AEDT by WillowBlue.

Google Search

Random Image

Matthew Watson on debut vs Gold Coast - round 2, 2011.jpg
1980 Geoff Ironmonger wants to Quit? 17/04/80.

Online Users

259 online users