|Venue: Brunswick St||Date: Monday April 25, 1960|
|Result: Lose by 7 points||Umpire:||Crowd: 33,815|
|Goalkickers: L.Brereton 3, G.Donaldson 2, J.Heathcote 1, D.McCulloch 1, M.Sankey 1, S.Silvagni 1.|
Game ReviewThis was an historic round, in that it marked the first time that official VFL matches were played on Anzac Day. This had only came about because torrential rain had swamped metropolitan Melbourne the previous weekend, forcing two scheduled round 2 games (Carlton versus Fitzroy at Brunswick St, and St Kilda versus Melbourne at the Junction Oval) to be postponed. However, the Victorian Government gave the VFL special dispensation to play those matches on the following Monday afternoon – Anzac Day - and the big crowds that both venues attracted started a tradition.
As to the game itself, Carlton were the better side for most of the game, and led by 13 points at three-quarter time, but the Maroons found plenty when it mattered, and charged home to win by 7 points.
The Blues led at every change except the important one, the end of the game. The Lions were almost five goals down at half-time and still trailed by two goals at the final change. Their persistance paid off with a hard fought 7-point victory over the Blues. - Football Record.
|B:||15 Bruce Comben (c)||25 George Ferry||34 Don Hall|
|HB:||19 Denis Zeunert||14 Bob Crowe||10 John James|
|C:||28 Graham Gilchrist||9 Berkley Cox||23 John Chick (vc)|
|HF:||12 Don Nicholls||1 Serge Silvagni||3 Dave McCulloch|
|F:||16 Maurie Sankey||18 Peter Barry||6 Leo Brereton|
|Ruck:||13 Graham Donaldson (dvc)||4 Brian Buckley||37 John Heathcote|
|Res:||11 Barry Bryant||36 Barry Smith|
ChangesIn: J. Chick, B. Buckley, B.Bryant, B. Smith.
Out: G. Burke, B.Arch, C. Pavlou, D. Lyons.
MilestonesDebut: Barry Smith, Barry Bryant
Round 1 | Round 3
Contributors to this page: TruBlueBrad
Page last modified on Tuesday 09 of July, 2013 21:39:29 EST by .
- 1881 Jack Gardiner old players match Capture.JPG
- 1924 jack Baker Jack Gardiner TT Oct 02 Capture.JPG
- 1924 J. Gardner E. Walton Old players match AA Oct 04 Capture.JPG
- 1888 T. P. Power Melb Exhib. Trove Capture.JPG
- 1888 T. P. Power Close up Melb Exhib. Trove Capture.JPG
- Henry Finch Rix History of state education in Victoria Capture.JPG
- Horrie Clover later in life.jpg
- Keith Warburton in caricature.jpg
- Sergio & Stephen Silvagni - Navy Blue champions.jpg
- Sergio & Stephen Silvagni - 1986.jpg
91 online users