|Venue: Subiaco||Date: Sunday July 4, 1993|
|Result: Win by 1 point||Umpires: G. Vernon & G. Dore||Crowd: 39,749|
|Goalkickers: Williams, Spalding 3, Heaver, Oliver 2, Sholl, Gleeson, Brown, Powell 1.|
|Best: G.Williams, B.Ratten, S.Oliver, T.Powell, T.Alvin, B.Heaver.|
|Reports: Nil||Injuries: S.Kernahan (knee)|
Carlton took on second-placed West Coast Eagles away from home and came away with the points in this spectacular and heart-warming game. The Blues had a good run at Subiaco in the West over the 1990’s, with a number of close wins, and this game was no different.
Eagle Chris Mainwaring had the chance to win this game after the siren, when the umpire paid a deliberate out of bounds decision against Andrew McKay. Tight on the boundary, Mainwaring hit the post and the Blues 2 point margin would be halved. But we’d win!
Williams would poll best on ground with 30 possessions and 3 goals, whilst the Duke and young Stephen Oliver would kick 5 between them after Kernahan was injured early in the first quarter.
Playing for the West Coast was ex-Blue Damian Hampson in the #40 jumper, a former high draft pick for Carlton.
Despite the win, Carlton would not jump back into the Top 6, but would sit in 7th, 1½ wins off top spot.
This game is remembered fondly by Carlton fans, and is considered one of our best wins in the Home & Away rounds of the 1990's. For more games like this, please click here.
|B:||7 Brett Ratten||1 Stephen Silvagni||39 Ang Christou|
|HB:||5 Andrew McKay||14 Michael Sexton||35 Peter Dean|
|C:||33 Matthew Hogg||2 Greg Williams||9 Brett Sholl|
|HF:||20 Fraser Brown||11 Earl Spalding||22 Tim Powell|
|F:||31 Tom Alvin||4 Stephen Kernahan (c)||17 Brent Heaver|
|Ruck:||44 Justin Madden||21 Craig Bradley (vc)||12 Adrian Gleeson|
|Interchange:||3 Stephen Oliver||30 Paul McCormack|
Milestones50 Games: Brett Ratten
Round 13 | Round 15
Contributors to this page: steve
Page last modified on Friday 21 of June, 2013 22:43:48 AEST by .
- Coach Brendon Bolton welcomes Jacob Weitering to Carlton.jpg
- Jacob Weitering.jpg
- Weitering takes a big pack mark for Vic Country - 2015.jpg
- Stephen Silvagni takes another 'speccy' against Collingwood.jpg
- Football commentator Lou Richards joins the Bluebirds.jpg
- Classic defence - Bruce Doull punches the ball clear.jpg
- 1960 Night Series match at South Melbourne - Carlton vs Richmond.jpg
- Carlton Footballers Cricket Team 1932-33.jpg
- The huge crowd at the 1938 Grand Final vs Collingwood.jpg
- 1909 VFL Grand Final -South Melbourne enters the field.jpg
96 online users