Blueseum - Online Carlton Football Club Museum
Carlton defeated Richmond by 9 points at Princes Park.

Round 3, 1935

Venue: Princes ParkDate: Saturday May 11, 1935
Result: Win by 9 pointsUmpire: ScottCrowd: 35,000
Goalkickers: A.Clarke 3.0, M.Crisp 2.1, J.Hale 2.1, C.Davey 2.1, G.Dougherty 1.2, R.Cooper 1.2. Mutimer 0.1, R. Green 0.1, DeLuca 0.1, rushed 0.1
Reports: Injuries: F.Gill (face) replaced by J.Park second quarter.

Game Review

After an even team effort, Carlton got home by 9 points over Richmond at Princes Park. A close, physical game that had the crowd at fever pitch from the first bounce to the final bell. Richmond were 24 points behind at three quarter time, but had the use of the breeze in the final term. They kicked 3.3 to nil and trailled by 3 points after 24 minutes of play, they were running in for a certain goal when a free kick was played to the Blues.

"Then came the crisis. Crisp forwarded, but Sheehan defended, and play swung back again. Francis swept into the picture with an electricfying effort, and the wildest cheering of the afternoon broke out when Hale connected up with the ball and passed to Dougherty, who marked soundly, and goaled strongly." That would prove to be Carlton's only score for the quarter and they hung on to the nine point margin despite Richmond's desperate attacking moves. "The utmost enthusiasm prevailed amongst Carlton supporters, and Hale, the hero of the match, was mobbed as he returned to the dressing room."

The Carlton captain Charlie Davey and the coach Frank Maher had strongly argued with the selection committee on Thursday night for the youngster Jack Hale to be included in the team as a half forward flanker and not on the half back flank.


Hale, Huxtable, Gilby, Davey, Turner, Gill, Park, Crisp, Clarke, Cooper, Anderson, Francis


"Charlie Davey, captain of Carlton, will long remember Saturday. It was the 26th. anniversary of his birth, and he led Carlton to victory over the 1934 premiership team, in a match marked by exceptional vigour, and played before a crowd of 35,000. Davey's health was drunk in the club rooms after the game. Gill the teams full back, was giving a grand exhibition of marking until he was obliged to leave the field in the second quarter. Two of his teeth were loosened and his lip was split on both sides of his mouth. Six stitches were inserted into the wound, and Gill is likely to be missing from two or three matches.

Two old Carlton champions "Mallee" Johnson and Doug Gillespie were recieved enthusiastically in the club rooms, where the president (Mr. D. H. Crone) entertained a large number of visitors. These inclluded the Attorney General (Mr. Bussau), the chairman of the Tramways Board (Mr. Cameron), Mr. Smith M.L.C., and Messrs. Jewel and Barry M.L.A.'s. Mr. Crone remarked that Councillor Frank Beaurepaire had sent the club two Olympic siver medals inscribed with the Carlton motto "Mens sana in corpore sano". It was decided to present the trophies to Huxtable and Hale for their fine displays that afternoon. Mr. Crone said he wanted the players to keep in mind always the club's motto." (The Argus)

Gordon Mackie and Harry Vallence have asked for clearances.

Mackie to St.Kilda where his brother plays, and Vallence to North Melbourne. (The Age)

At the end of this round Carlton were in 4th spot on the ladder with a percentage of 122.9.


B: 6 Fred Gilby 21 Frank Gill 25 Harold Maskell
HB: 9 Eric Huxtable 10 Jim Francis 1 Frank Anderson
C: 27 Clete Turner 8 Keith Shea 32 Bob Green
HF: 11 Jack Hale 35 George Dougherty 12 Creswell 'Mickey' Crisp (vc)
F: 4 Jack Cashman 20 Alby De Luca 31 Ansell Clarke
Ruck: 17 Charlie Davey (c) 3 Wally Mutimer 19 Ron Cooper
19th Man: 26 Jim Park
Coach: Frank Maher

  • Norm Le Brun was to be 19th. man but on the way to the game his car broke down. He rushed to the nearest railway station but arrived too late.

Image Image
Images: Trove; Top; Age May 13, others Sporting Globe May 11


Last Game (Carlton): Harold Maskell

Round 2 | Round 4