|Venue: Princes Park||Date: Saturday August 1, 1908|
|Result: Win by 26 points||Umpire: Elder||Crowd: 25,000|
|Goalkickers: E.Kelly 3, A.Ford 1, V.Gardiner 1, M.Gotz 1, G.Johnson 1, H,Kelly 1.|
Game ReviewAfter shaping up as one of the flag favourites earlier in the season, South Melbourne were just hanging on the fringes of the top four when they travelled to Princes Park for this game on the first Saturday in August. Throughout the previous few years, the Bloods had been a bogey team for Carlton, and those in the know were ready for another possible upset.
This time however, the Southerners were never really in contention. After Carlton’s followers and centre line seized the early initiative, the home side jumped out to an early lead and never relinquished it. Although disappointingly inaccurate around the goals in the second half, the Blues were 28 points in front at half-time, and coasted home to win by 26.
In other games, Essendon remained solidly in second position on the ladder after accounting for Fitzroy, St Kilda crushed Geelong to hang on to third, and Melbourne claimed fourth on percentage when they beat University by 4 points at the MCG. Collingwood were the big losers, dropping to seventh after losing to Richmond at the Punt Road Oval.
|B:||Norman Clark||Doug Gillespie||Les Beck|
|HB:||Martin Gotz||Billy Payne||Fred Jinks (acting capt.)|
|C:||Ted Kennedy||Rod McGregor||George Bruce|
|HF:||Arthur Ford||Harvey Kelly||Alby Ingleman|
|F:||Andy Pattison||Vin Gardiner||Ernie Kelly|
|Ruck:||George S Johnson||Charlie Hammond||Alex Lang|
ChangesIn: A.Ingleman, A.Ford, E.Kelly
Out: F.Elliott, F.Caine, B.Marchbank
Round 14 | Round 16
Contributors to this page: steve
Page last modified on Thursday 04 of December, 2014 13:16:25 AEDT by .
- Coach Brendon Bolton welcomes Jacob Weitering to Carlton.jpg
- Jacob Weitering.jpg
- Weitering takes a big pack mark for Vic Country - 2015.jpg
- Stephen Silvagni takes another 'speccy' against Collingwood.jpg
- Football commentator Lou Richards joins the Bluebirds.jpg
- Classic defence - Bruce Doull punches the ball clear.jpg
- 1960 Night Series match at South Melbourne - Carlton vs Richmond.jpg
- Carlton Footballers Cricket Team 1932-33.jpg
- The huge crowd at the 1938 Grand Final vs Collingwood.jpg
- 1909 VFL Grand Final -South Melbourne enters the field.jpg
108 online users