Carlton defeated Fitzroy by 43 points at Princes Park. Rhys-Jones kicked 6.
|Venue: Princes Park||Date: Saturday 11 June 1988|
|Result: won by 43 points||Umpires: B.Carland & G.Vernon||Crowd: 21,900 Gate: $57,162|
|Goalkickers: D.Rhys-Jones 6, W.Blackwell 4, A.Gleeson 3, R.Dennis 2, D.Glascott 2, M.Naley 1, F.Murphy 1, J.Madden 1, W.McKenzie 1.|
|Best: C.Bradley, J.Madden, J.Buckley, M.Naley, W.Blackwell, S.Silvagni, D.Rhys-Jones, D.Glascott.|
|Reports: M.Conlan (Fitz) striking J.Dorotich (Carl) in the second quarter|
|Injuries: D.Glascott (bruised forearm)|
Game ReviewCarlton proved too accomplished for Fitzroy in all facets of the game and runs out comfortable 43-point winners in the clash of the Princes Park co-tenants. With ruck giant Justin Madden dominating proceedings, the Blues streak away from Fitzroy to lead by 68 points at three-quarter time. The Lions restore some pride with a six goal last quarter effort, but the result is never in doubt. Carlton star David Rhys-Jones enhances his reputation in the versatility department with a top class display at full-forward. - Tony Greenberg Inside Football.
Despite losing S Kernahan pre-game the Blues proved far too accomplished for a dispirited Fitzroy. Craig Bradley had 37 disposals (34 kicks) and Wayne Blackwell 30 to go with his 4 goals. David Rhys-Jones relished playing up forward booting six goals.
|B:||16 Jim Buckley||1 Stephen Silvagni||13 Mil Hanna|
|HB:||5 Steve Da Rui||6 Jon Dorotich||23 Paul Meldrum|
|C:||8 Wayne Blackwell||21 Craig Bradley||32 David Glascott|
|HF:||30 Fraser Murphy||45 Warren McKenzie||3 Richard Dennis|
|F:||9 Ken Hunter||26 David Rhys-Jones||12 Adrian Gleeson|
|Ruck:||44 Justin Madden (acting capt.)||7 Wayne Johnston||17 Mark Naley|
|Interchange:||37 Wayne Harmes||25 Ian Herman|
|Emgs:||24 Jamie Dunlop||38 Shane Robertson||4 Stephen Kernahan (c)|
Note *Mil Hanna replaced Stephen Kernahan in the selected side.
Round 10 | Round 12
Contributors to this page: verbs
Page last modified on Sunday 23 of June, 2013 19:39:34 AEST by .
- Coach Brendon Bolton welcomes Jacob Weitering to Carlton.jpg
- Jacob Weitering.jpg
- Weitering takes a big pack mark for Vic Country - 2015.jpg
- Stephen Silvagni takes another 'speccy' against Collingwood.jpg
- Football commentator Lou Richards joins the Bluebirds.jpg
- Classic defence - Bruce Doull punches the ball clear.jpg
- 1960 Night Series match at South Melbourne - Carlton vs Richmond.jpg
- Carlton Footballers Cricket Team 1932-33.jpg
- The huge crowd at the 1938 Grand Final vs Collingwood.jpg
- 1909 VFL Grand Final -South Melbourne enters the field.jpg
103 online usersPatsFitztrick