Career : 2019 -
Debut : Round 1, 2019 vs Richmond, aged 23 years, 310 days
Carlton Player No. 1201
Games : 21 *
Goals : 16 *
Guernsey : No. 40
Height : 175 cm (5'9")
Weight : 71 kg (11'2")
DOB : 15 May, 1995
Michael Gibbons’ story has been well-documented, with the versatile midfield-forward spending the last five years as a consistent, standout performer for Williamstown in the VFL. In that time, the 23-year-old became a dual J.J Liston Medal winner and Norm Goss Medallist in the Seagulls’ 2015 premiership win. A natural ball-winner with great athletic ability and a supreme hunger for the contest, Gibbons has also been named in the VFL Team of the Year in each of the last three seasons. It would have been easy for Gibbons to give up on his dream at playing at the highest level but no one could begrudge of this opportunity that has been presented to him by the Carlton FC, a spot so truly deserved for a man that has just continued to do everything to live his AFL dream.
Gibbons is originally from Coolamon in NSW, he went through the Murray Bushrangers program, captaining the TAC Cup club in 2013 and twice finishing second in the best and fairest. He also represented NSW/ACT at the national Under 18 carnival.
Gibbons has certainly done the hard yards prior to his listing at Carlton with the following accolades, perseverence has certainly paid off;
- 2013 Murray Bushrangers Captain
- 2015 VFL Premiership Player
- 2015 Norm Goss Medal – VFL Grand Final Best on Ground
- 2016 J.J Liston Medal – VFL Best & Fairest
- 2016 Frank Johnson Medal – VFL State Team Best on Ground
- 2016, 2017 & 2018 VFL Team of the Year
- 2017 VFL State Team Representative
- 2017 JJ Liston Medal – Runner Up
- 2018 Wiliamstown Gerry Callahan Medallist (Best & Fairest Winner)
- 2018 J.J Liston Medal - VFL Best & Fairest
Gibbons would line up for Round 1, but it would take until our breakthrough win in Round 5 before he would kick his first goal....